Wuthering Heights

Wuthering heights...

"He's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of his or mine are the same."

Wuthering heights is a heart wrecking, mind boggling, breathtaking book any one could ever read, which has a burst of emotion at every turn of page, it keeps you at edge with the amount of intensity of every vivacious, vengeful or regretful act with the turn of events. It makes you swoon at the confrontations and departures of Catherine and Heathcliff and dig knives in your heart at the same time. This book portrays love in the most sinfully beautiful yet darkest passion which could make a man from nothing to everything and can again shatter a stone statue. This shows how love can be fatal and can bring destruction more than imaginable.

A Journey of two head strong characters who loose themselves in the bliss of each others sweetness, but when the storm of reality dawns on them, they try to fight their love for each other just to defy the inevitable. Their heat and fury gradually seems to destroy every other character in the book who are a part of their turmoil and drag the unnecessary attention towards them.

The book starts with the description of the the cold, stone wuthering heights, to where Mr. Lockwood has arrived as a tenant at Thrushcross Grange in Yorkshire, to Heathcliff who is usual insolent as he could be. On entering he gives his regards of what impression has Heathcliff given of himself and his last infatuation at his last house. After his first meeting with Mr. Heathcliff he found himself intrigued by his presence. Next he found himself in wuthering heights garden again, and saw a woman in the house and tried to make a conversation thinking her to be Mrs. Heathcliff.

And thought Hareton Earnshaw was his son. In though they were daughter in law and son of Hindley. He then saw the other side of Cathy while she was arguing with joseph and being called off as wicked. And after his quick chitter chatter for asking his way back to London he decides to stay at wuthering heights. When he is guided in the house by Zillah the housekeeper when he stumbles inside Catherine's room where there are scribbles of her name as Catherine- Earns haw-Heathcliff-Linton he collects different pieces from there like her diary, and reads a few pages and find himself entrapped and forced to find who this young lady was. He then goes back to Grange where he meets Mrs. Nelly Dean the house keeper and that's how the somber past behind the dark walls of wuthering heights and frenzied Heathcliff unravels. A gypsy child, dark skin who was said to be found in the gutter was named Heathcliff by Mr. Earnshaw. As the years flew by Catherine and Heathcliff grew closer but he was never accepted by Henley who soon left the height to go to school. Three years later their father died and so did Hinley returned but with a wife.

On his return he treated Heathcliff badly and gave the title as a servant and named himself as the master of the house. Then entered Edgar Linton who had everything that a girl in a society could ever ask for and for that thought Catherine was attracted to him but only for his money. As she describes as-

"My love for Linton is like foliage in the woods: time will change it, as winter changes the sea. My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rock beneath: a source of light visible delight, but necessary. I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I pleasure to myself, but as my own being."

Yet after these words she decides to marry Edgar. Infuriated how just because of his reputation and status Catherine rejects him by not saying no to the offer of marriage by Edgar, Heathcliff decides to leave wuthering heights and return when he is a man with power and wealth greater than anyone.

After three years he returns to wuthering heights after hearing the news of Catherine and Edgar's marriage becoming a gentleman with the sole aim of destroying Hinley, and Edgar. And so he does by entering into gambling and taking away every penny from him and showing Hareton his cruel atrocities towards his father. Beyond pleased by Heathcliff's return he is astonished to find him more interested in Isabella, Edgar's sister and young Isabella even looks infatuated by the handsome and rich version of Heathcliff. When he finds that Catherine is pregnant, he flees with Isabella and marries her. They return back and find Catherine very sick. When restricted to see Heathcliff she walks in the rain to the moor just to see him, and there he finds Heathcliff there, he whispers how sweet words in her ears and realize that she had been waiting for him but soon Edgar finds them and returns back home with her and she catches pneumonia. Catherine dies giving birth to little Cathy, Heathcliff moans his death, Hinley soon dies after. Isabella even discovers she is with Linton and asks for mercy from Edgar and wants to come back home. Soon Cathy and Linton grow up and fall in love but then Edgar sends Linton back to wuthering heights.

After three years, she goes to the moors and meets Heathcliff who then takes Cathy to heights to meet Linton just to find herself captive and forced to marry him by Heathcliff to bring misery upon herself. Soon she marries him and hurries to Granges to see her dying father. She then returns to heights and in some days Linton is dead, she grows close to Hareton after that. After some days Heathcliff is found dead in Catherine's old room.

His grave is dug near Catherine's and that is the only place they remain together.

The story ends with Lockwood learning that Hareton and Cathy plan to marry on New Year's Day. As he gets ready to leave to south again. As he carries with himself this beautiful yet broken tale.

"They are afraid of nothing, together they would brave Satan and all his legions."

This book made me forget fairytales, because not all love stories come to an end.

Thank you AdventurousA for forcing me to read this book again and again.. :)