Prologue

June 8th 2007, a date that changed everything for Karla Cabello. She was a normal girl with an abnormal yet still sort of common family situation. Her mother was coasting off the wealth of her deceased husband. He had saved enough money to ensure that she wouldn't have to work, allowing her to be a stay-at-home mom. And the insurance checks she collected from his death supported her constant supply of alcohol. Long story put short: Sinu Cabello was a drunk. She would consistently get drunk either from her booze collection at her house or by going to local bars--often coming home with 'guests' that were loud at night yet disappeared before the children could wake up.

Karla also had an older sister, Diane, who was 8 years older than her and more of a mother than Sinu ever was. She often took her to the park; more often than not it was to avoid their drunk and emotional mother, but they still always had fun together. She helped pick out her outfits, help her with schoolwork, and pack her lunch bag for school.

Karla also had a cousin, Jenna, who was Diane's age. They grew up together and acted like sisters. Jenna understood the nature of their mother, though she never brought it up. She often invited the sisters to sleep over at her house and go on weekend trips with her and her parents. Thanks to her compassionate cousin Jenna and her older sister Diane, Karla had a considerately good childhood, until her world fell apart.

June 8th 2007, Karla was 8. It was a normal day, she spent the morning with Diane, fooling around and having a good time. She spent the early afternoon with Diane as well, watching her put on make-up to prepare for the date she was about to go on. This particular day was Diane and her boyfriend, Jake's', one-month anniversary. Karla liked Jake; he was very nice to her and played with her as if he was her older brother. He also made Diane happy, which made Karla happy.

While Diane was still applying her make-up, the sisters heard the doorbell ring. Diane, shocked that Jake was early for once, asked Karla to go get the door and stall him for a few seconds while she made her finishing touches on her make-up.

Karla, listening to her sister, went downstairs to greet the boy.

"Hey, Karla!" Jake said as soon as she opened the door. He bent down to reach her height and pulled a single flower out of the bouquet he held in his hand. "This is for you, my favorite gal." He said as he handed her the flower. She just shyly smiled back at him while he pet her hair. "Just don't tell your sister I said that! She'll get jealous that you're cooler."

"Promise." Karla responded.

Within a few seconds, Diane came downstairs ready to head out on her date. "I love you K, I'll be home in a couple hours. You have my phone number written down in case you need to call me, right?" She asked bent down next to her sister.

"Yes, I love you too D." Karla responded and gave her sister a hug goodbye, and Jake a high five.

Karla spent the rest of the day up in her room drawing, practicing guitar, and filling in her diary on the latest gossip. After a few hours, it got dark and Karla's stomach was continuously growling, so she made her way through the hall, living room, and dining room into the kitchen to make some mac-and-cheese.

She opened up the to-go mac-and-cheese cup, added water and put the cup in the microwave. While sitting on the counter she heard the house phone start ringing, and her drunken mothers grunting immediately after. She observed as her mother walked in the door and picked up the phone.

"Hello?" Sinu asked rather loudly.

Camila watched as Sinu's posture quickly shifted from casual to serious and how quickly she seemed to sober up.

"What do you mean? Where is she?

"Okay." Sinu slammed the phone down and pointed at Karla. "You. Get ready. We're going to the hospital as soon as I put on shoes and change out of my pajamas."