Chapter 1

After the day her sister passed, Karla decided to go by Camila, since hearing the name Karla reminded her of Diane. She decided that she never wanted to get that close to anyone again, because everyone is always going to die. She had their death date written on their head to prove it. 

- - - - - - - -

June 1st, 2016

Camila sat holding her legs to her chest in the middle of the floor of her deceased sisters room. She tried to picture what Diane would think about this; about all that Camila learned about herself the past few years. Camila imagined what she would think about Sinu's parenting only getting worse and her leaving Camila. Although Camila did have the option to follow her across the country to live with her mother and her boyfriend, but Camila didn't want to spend any more time in Sinu's household, and since she was given the option to live with her cousin in Aylesbury, Florida, Camila hopped right off the Sinu express.

After sitting for a while, Camila realized that she should leave before someone comes. She went to stand up but, something on the floor of the closet caught her eye. Camila went over to investigate the white paper lying on the floor. She picked it up, noticing it was a worn looking polaroid. She examined the picture; it was of her and Dianne laughing, probably because Dianne had cake all over her face. Camila could tell by her outfit, which happened to be her favorite pair of pink 'superman' pants and white shirt with little flowers, and by the cake in front of the laughing children that it was taken during Camila's eighth birthday.

The picture was almost perfect. To anyone else, the picture is a candid of two adorable little girls enjoying themselves. But to Camila, it was a reminder that Dianne was dead; and Camila could've saved her, because only Camila could see the numbers over Dianne's head that said "6-8-07"

If only Camila knew what those numbers meant, she could've saved her sister. If she was aware that the date she saw on Dianne's forehead read the date she would die, Camila could've told her not to go out with Jake  and to stay home in safety for the day. If Camila could've fucking knew that the picture of her, Dianne and Sinu that hung on their fridge showed the date when Dianne would die in a car accident, she'd still have her sister with her to help her deal with life.

Camila heard a car pull up outside followed by a series of car doors slamming shut. She knew that she wasn't supposed to be in the house because it was for sale and they would do open-houses everyday to try to find a buyer but Dianne's room was calming for Camila. Camila felt that while she was in Dianne's room, Dianne was there and listening. With a last glance around her older sisters room, Camila shoved the polaroid in her pocket and jogged into the hallway. She picked her backpack up and flung it over her shoulder and made a break for her old room. She went to the back of her room, opened the window, and sat on the ledge with one foot out the window and the other still in the room. She looked around the room for the last time, deciding the only reason she missed this house was because it was where Dianne was with her. Camila heard a the front door open and knew that was her final warning before she would get in trouble for breaking into the empty house. She jumped out the window and onto the roof, sliding down until she reached the ledge. Then, she slowly lowered herself from the gutter until her arms were straightened out, and then she let go. She had a pretty solid landing on the grass and then she jumped over the backyard fence and found herself on her previous neighbors back yard. She silently thanked God that they weren't home today as she made her way to their front yard and then into her car, which was parked in front of their house.

Camila then pulled out her phone to pull up the address for her new temporary home. She also sent her cousin Jenna a quick text explaining that she got held up at a friends house and is leaving to go to Aylesbury now, so she should be their in a few hours. She plugged her phone into the AUX cord and put her road trip playlist on shuffle. She knew it would be a good ride when the first song to come on was Misery Business by Paramore.