Chapter 1: Introduction

I am Annabel Collins, and I have been through my loads of shit. I have had my rough times, and my ups and downs. My lovers and my haters, and the high and lows. But after experiencing out of the terrors first-hand, I want to say is, my story is worthwhile.

After graduating from 8 long, hard years at Yale, let's just say I had high hopes for a good paying job. Other than my early childhood, my life had gone pretty well so far. That was, until my life hit a bump in the road. Like anything in life, I had to tough it out and figure how the hell I was going to get my life back on track. I had graduated just weeks ago, and I was hoping on getting a long-term nursing job at the Children's Hospital about 20 minutes from my apartment. That was, until, I was 30 weeks until having a child of my own.

My "bump in the road" was going to be harder to get over than I had thought. Of course I want to have children, but not when I still have boxes piled in my new apartment, practically broke, jobless, and more importantly, when I have not a clue who the hell the father is. The only guess I have to whom the father may be, is some guy I hooked up with at the graduation I attended a few days after graduation. But I don't plan on seeng any of them again, therefore it looks I was having an abortion or being a single mother.

4 weeks later, I am moved into my new 1,500 sq ft, and with a steady income. Except that for the fact that the income wasn't coming from my dream job...or practically any job at all. I was at a job interview with one of the doctors from the Children's Hospital, and they asked about any children I have. I replied with, not currently, and the gentleman asked me to elaborate. From there, I told him about my unexpected pregnancy, and the abortion that followed it. He gasped, and walked out of the cafe. I put my head in my hands and reflected on the situation...well no shit he walked out... a Children's Hospital isn't going to employ a women who got an abortion. But one good thing DID crime out of going to the coffee shop that day...I got a job there.

The owner is a lovely man, 27, about 6'2, and, well, a good boss. The best part about him is how understanding he is. It's not the not picture perfect scenario, but I'm pleased. Like I said, I receive a steady income that pays the bills, and the people that surround me daily supports me and cares about me. During the 4 weeks I have worked here, I have made a friend. Now one of my closest friends, also my coworker, means the world to me. Her name is Lucy Jackson, and is in a very similar situation then I was. She started working here about two weeks after I did, and she was like me-just out college. She understands me and I understand her. How frustrating it can be, to work your ass off and to then be let down like this. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my boss, and my other coworkers, but this just isn't the ideal situation after working for 8 years.

     Walking into work the next few days is going to be hard, considering these are the days that mark my acceptance into Yale. I was so happy to finally belong some place. But look where I am now. In a coffee shop, after paying 100,000 on an Ivy League college, it's kind of hard to be happy. I mean, I could have a high paying job and living my dream life if I hadn't of goofed of a little so much.