Chapter 4

Mondays. I hated them so much. I hated this Monday much more because I was going to face Sally. That traitor. My face turned a deeper shade of red as I thought of how I was going to tell her off. She was the cause of all the trouble I had gotten into.

It didn't take me long to spot her, though. She was leaning against her locker, flirting with only-God-knows-who. Her dark, brown eyes fluttered seductively at her prey. Before I could change my mind, I stood in between them.

"Jess, what's up?" Sally asked, surprise evident in her voice.

"We need to talk. Now", I said, pulling sally before she could protest.

The school's basketball court was completely empty. Perfect.

"Jess, you didn't have to do that. If you are interested in him, you could have just told me", Sally remarked.

"You left me at the party", I blurted out.

"That's what this is about?" Sally asked no one in particular.

"Look, I didn't leave you. I had people to talk to. It's not my fault you don't have any friends. You're so pathetic that your Dad had to sign a contract to get you a friend", Sally said, crossing her arms and staring at me.

"I'm so glad you brought that up. Guess what? That contract is broken", I told Sally who seemed taken aback.

"Jessica, you don't mean it. You're just overreacting."

"Sally, this--" I said, pointing to the space between us. "Whatever it is. It's done, it's over", I stated, quickly walking away without looking back.

ꕥꕥꕥ

Silence. I loved it. That moment when you could get lost in your own thoughts and no one could interrupt you. I guess I spoke too soon. In front of me was someone who was interrupting my much loved silence. I jumped in surprise when I heard the thud of books on the table.

"Sorry. Curiousity got the better of me. What book are you reading?" Interruption asked me.

When I turned to look at him, my eyes widened in recognition,

 It was him!

"Oh my goodness! It's you. You're the one who rescued me at the party!" I practically screamed in excitement.

"You're Jessica Harper?" He asked me.

I nodded."You know my name", I stated in surprise.

"You're the president's daughter. Everyone knows your name."

I could have slapped myself at that moment.

"You know my name but I don't know yours."

"Sorry, I'm James. James Stevenson."

"I can't thank you enough, James. I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't appeared at that moment."

"It's always a pleasure to be of help, Ma'am", James said and gave a slight bow

I giggled at his silly antics. Okay. He has a good sense of humour."

If you need anything, you can ask me. One good turn deserves another."

James smiled and nodded. He waved goodbye and made his way towards the exit. He stopped mid-way and walked back to me.

"Come to think of it, I think you could do me a favour", James told me.

"What is it?" I asked him.

"You see, I'm working on this project and I need your help. I'm taking look at popularity and its effect in our school and life in general. Since you are a popular figure, I would like to interview you."

"Okay. When do you want us to start?"

"Whenever you're ready", James told me with a smile.

I gave him a crooked smile. Would I ever be ready? I didn't even want to be famous. People knew me only because I was the president's daughter. Was I ready to show the world the real me? I owed James a huge favour. My crooked smile became wider as I pulled back the seat next to me. Even though this gesture was small, to me, it held a lot of meaning. I was inviting the unknown and unpredictable into my life.