Birthday Girl

Veronica stared at the ceiling aimlessly, feeling no different than she did the night before.

Today was her eighteenth birthday, and if it weren't for the fact that her wolf was scratching at their link excitedly, she wouldn't even recognize the day's importance. She groaned and tried to silence the beast, but her wolf only yipped at her more.

'Today we meet our mate'

Veronica groaned some more, this time into her pillow, "Ugh, please don't remind me."

Her wolf promptly ignored her, to Veronica's relief, and she threw her covers over her head with the hope of sinking into her bed and sleeping the day away. She settled under the sheets, closed her eyes, and tried to silence her thoughts. Her breathing slowed and her surroundings quieted only to have her pending sleep deterred by her mother's cheery voice calling out from the bottom of the stairs,

"Ronni, I made breakfast! Come and get it while it's still hot, birthday girl!"

Veronica sighed, but pulled back her covers and slipped out of the warm comfort of her bed. Her mother rarely cooked breakfast, and only made dinner three times a week, so she wasn't about to miss out on a good meal. So Ronni put on her slippers and robe and stretched her tight, sleep-wound muscles as she went from her room to the bathroom across the hall. She splashed some cool water on her face to freshen up and clear up her drowsy features. She grabbed a towel off the rack, the cotton soft against her skin as she dried up her face. She looked into the dirty, toothpaste-splattered mirror (which she would definitely have to clean later) and stared just as blankly at her reflection as she did the ceiling.

The first thing she noticed was her smooth brown skin that had a yellowish undertone under the bathroom's fluorescent lights. When her skin was under the sun, it was more golden and honey-kissed without losing its cocoa color. Her hair was in a twist out, long enough to reach past her ears. Ronni had been proud of its growth since she had made the decision to cut it years prior. The big cut was a big deal for black girls or any girl of color who was willing to go down the natural hair journey. It had been tough at first, but she loved the results and most certainly loved her curls. Due to the summer weather her usually black hair had turned a dark brown color. She had been considering dyeing it, maybe a black to dark bluish/dark green ombré. She liked the way it looked on an Instagram model she followed and she always loved colored hair, so why not? Oh yeah, maybe it was because her mom would absolutely kill her. Ronni chuckled at the thought.

Ronni pulled one of her twists and considered undoing them before she went downstairs, but opted for the better option of waiting until after she's showered and dressed. Her brown eyes stared back at her and for a brief moment flashed hazel. She groaned. It was her wolf.

'Why are you so grumpy? Aren't you excited to meet the love of our life? To be happy and loved and have lots of pups?' Celine, her wolf, asked. Her wolf didn't actually have a name, Celine was Ronni's middle name. Veronica Celine Lewis. The wolf and she were one. Even though they were two separate beings, one human and one wolf, they shared one soul and were connected. They shared thoughts together and emotions and body. Ronni felt weird always talking to her wolf, and not addressing her by a name. And even though they were the same, she very well wasn't gonna start calling her Veronica. Celine suited the she-wolf. She loved how mature her wolf was. Ronni always loved Celine's voice since she first appeared to her at thirteen. The tone always had a wise, calm, and guiding effect on her. Celine was always level-headed and serious. But ever since the mate conversation came into play, her wolf had been acting giddy and excited, like a love-struck little pup.

"Maybe I'm not excited to tie my life to some possessive, over-bearing, over-protecting, sexist, power-crazy dominant wolf," Veronica replied with frustration out loud. She mentally scolded herself. She always forgets that her wolf is her and in her head. Not some tangible person. People at her school always looked at her crazy because she was always having conversations with her inner wolf out loud like a dumbass. Other werewolves understood, but humans not so much.