Chapter 2

So school was something that was happening today, and by today, I meant like in the next five minutes. The last time I was this nervous was back in seventh grade when I decided it was a good idea to try out for the school talent show. It didn't go horribly wrong, but it could have gone better. Those few off pitch vocals still stuck with me to this day, occasionally making me relive the moment.

The new school was about ten minutes away by car, meaning that the walking distance wouldn't be near damn impossible if I ever had to walk home one day. The route was also pretty nice to look at. Every so often a subdivision with a fancy name came and went as the car rushed past. Big houses towered over the picket fences that enclosed each neighborhood, and some even had neighborhood community pools and tennis courts like mine.

The light fog that came with the beginning of the day was enchanting, and it was interesting to see how the headlights of on coming traffic looked like little white orbs of light before they came close enough for me to see the car that actually came with them.

"You're going to be fine." My dad said, grasping my attention. "I know that everything's been weird for the past few months, but you're going to be okay."

"...How can you be so sure?" I asked, studying the expression on his face.

"Because you've already been able to get through the worst." He said answering with no hesitation like he'd been saving that sentence in his pocket for a while now, managing to calm my nerves about this whole first-day-of-school thing.

Looking down at my school bag that sat between my legs, I closed my eye and took a deep breath. With the exhale came a wave of self-reassurance that everything really could be okay today. The second I opened my eye, I felt butterflies in the pit of my stomach. There the school building was, looking as intimidating as ever. It was huge, unnecessarily the size of a college campus.

Sharply exhaling one last time, I popped the car door open and closed it behind me, swing my backpack over one shoulder. As I watched my dad's car disappear off into the distance, I knew that this was it for me, that there was no turning back.

This is actually happening right now. I thought, looking at all the faces that were looking at me. I'll be lucky if I can find someone who'll help me find the main office.

I kept my head held high, walking towards one of the entrances of the building like I knew where I was going when in fact I didn't. The double doors that I passed through opened up to a wide hallway, with students walking up and down the halls, while some stood by their lockers and talked to people they knew. I could feel my face warming up, getting overwhelmed by all the new faces that were passing me by, each and everyone knowing exactly where they needed to be. I felt lost.

Think Emmer, think. I thought to myself, trying to keep calm. Maybe I can find a teacher. I'm sure they'll tell me where the office is.

Picking up my feet again, I scanned the halls until I managed to find a nearby classroom. Unfortunately for me, there was no teacher, but a bunch of other kids looking at me like I'd just invaded their space.

"Mr. Henily ain't here." A girl sitting on a lab table at the far back of the classroom said. "What'd ya need?"

"...Oh um, do you know where I could find the main office?" I asked, hoping that she, or one of the kids in here would be nice enough to help me.

"Aye Jaime, tell the teach' that I was helpin' someone if he gets back here before I do." She said, hopping off of the table.

The closer she got, the more my shoulders relaxed. All that built up pressure that was in my neck had melted away. I felt relieved and oddly accomplished. Looking right past me she exited the classroom, cuing my legs to start moving. She was a few inches shorter than me, but for a girl, she was fairly tall. Her hair was quite interesting to look at, defying gravity in all its volume. It was thick and curly, as well as an enchanted forest green, complimenting her chestnut brown skin. Whoever she was, she had spunk, and I could appreciate that.