Ch.1: Return

I've decided that this story will go with another one of mine, so references will be used often. Other than that, this is mainly on the two's relationship and how they live together. Enjoy!

(The song doesn't really go with the chapter, I just like the song. Volbeat!)

Kai looked around him with somewhat squinted eyes, this place looks familiar...

"Mommy look! It's a ninja!"

He turned around at to see a child pointing to him to their mother, finding that they had unusual hair color. Kai processed that information for a second before he groaned and stood up, dusting himself off. Great, he's somehow back in Benham City and he doesn't know where the other ninja and his sister are, last time they were all together.

"Benham City...let's see, what do I remember about it?" Kai mumbled to himself, racking his brain for anything he may remember that would be useful, "The first time we came here...we ran into a cat that belonged to..."

A flash of a red haired boy popped in his head, the one he deemed a brother. Kai took in his surroundings carefully, a mental map of the city reforming in his mind. Once his map was complete, he took off in the direction of his fellow fire-loving "brother."

~

Guren huffed and stretched in his chair beside his desk, trying to complete multiple college entrance exams are hard, not to mention long. The eighteen year old male rested his chin on his palm while he absentmindedly looked out the glass sliding doors leading to the balcony in his room. He rubbed his eyes and checked the time, the clock reading three twenty. Sighing at that, he got up and slipped on a pair of shoes.

I'm sure that the mail's been delivered by now, Guren thought as he went down the stairs, Actually, I wonder if my acceptance letter will be there. I'd hate to have to send other colleges all those entrance exams.

Opening the front door, Guren stepped out and walked to the mailbox, grabbing its contents and looking them over.

"Guren!"

Scrunching his eyebrows, the young adult turned around only to meet with familiar green eyes.

"Oh, hey Kiiro. What're you doing here?"
"Chooki asked me to bring you your pan back. Thanks for the food too, it was great!"

Guren smiled at her.

"Any time. So how are you and Haku doing?"

The middle schooler flushed red at the name of her crush, the red head inwardly chuckling at her behavior. He ruffled her hair.

"I'm just joking with you, but you better get home. Tell Chooki I said hi."
"M'kay! Bye Guren!"
"See you."

He rested one hand on his hip and smiled as he watched the twelve year old girl run down the street home, so much has happened in just four years. Shaking his head, he started heading back into the house when he heard his cat Max start meowing excitedly. Tilting his head in confusion, he turned back around, a fire tornado coming right at him. Normally, he'd freak out, but he recognized the way the fire stayed controlled. He couldn't believe it.

"Kai?!"

The tornado dissolved and a man came out, engulfing the male in a hug.

"Guren! Oh man, it is you!"
"Kai! How'd you get back?"

The two pulled apart and smiled at each other, tears gathering in their eyes, it's been so long. Kai blinked before he looked Guren up and down, shock on his face.