Where It All Began

Brendon was pacing nervously waiting for his name to be called. He straightened the collar on his suit and wrung his hands feeling as if an eternity had already passed. This was his chance to do what he loved. Blowing it would mean he would never achieve his dreams and it hurt him to imagine it.

A guy carrying a clipboard approached him. "Brendon Boyd Urie?" he asked. "That's me," The 24 year old answered, trying to sound more confident than he actually was. His hands were clammy and he wiped them on his pants, then wiped his chocolate brown hair out of his eyes. "We're ready for you," said the man with the clipboard. There was no turning back now. Brendon followed the man. The bright lights blinded him as he walked onto the stage. He squinted, confused. Why were there five chairs?

Brendon reached for the microphone and gripped the stand tightly. He pushed the nervous thoughts out of his mind as he heard the first notes of "Rolling in the Deep" begin to play. He began "There's a fire starting in my -," A chair turned around and Brendon saw a gorgeous boy with hazel eyes and a bandana around his head smiling. He knew he had a chance now and grew more confident. The next verse he sang louder and the shakiness in his voice dissipated. Two more chairs turned around but Brendon didn't notice. His eyes flitted between the boy and the floor. He felt a blush rise in his face, but chalked it up to nerves. The song ended and the four judges who had turned their chairs began to applaud him. "Thanks," he mumbled, eyes glued to the floor. A judge named Tyler, who had been the second to turn asked Brendon to join his team, but he politely turned him down. The boy he'd found out was named Ryan tried to persuade him, but in his mind he already knew which team he'd be joining. After each of the judges had a turn to speak, Brendon made his choice. "Ryan," he said looking straight into those beautiful eyes. "Suck it guys!" Ryan exclaimed as he stood and shook hands with Brendon. Then, Ryan pulled the younger boy in for an unexpected hug. Brendon stiffened but then relaxed. As Ryan pulled away he patted Brendon's shoulder. "Welcome to team, Brendon," he said softly. Brendon turned to leave not knowing that Ryan's eyes were fixed on his butt. "What a great ass(et)" Ryan whispered to himself.