Introduction

The Crow King

************************************

Lifting her head up to the sky, Skylar sighed and slumped down. Of course she thought grumpily A gray sky for a gray day. It wasn't that today had been necessarily bad, but it was gray for the reason of boredom and something else that seemed to be looming above, ready to strike like a coiled snake. Skylar kept getting that feeling again, the empty pit that told her she was going nowhere and though she hated it, deep down in her heart something insisted it was right and about to change.

She had your average teenage girl life, one filled with friends, family, school and cute boys and had already been promised a simple future in law and business despite her young age of 15.

Wandering down the mucky street, stuck in her dreary daze she was startled by a group of crows as they flew off and away, cackling their horrid versions of chirps loudly and obnoxiously. It wasn't that Skylar hated birds, in fact she loved them! But those little buggers always seemed to be stalking around, as if they were following her and sang dark and arrogant songs instead of the chirpy, cheery ones of the blue jays and red birds.

Turning back to herself and rolling her aching shoulders Skylar noticed a crows feather. It was deep black, shiny and strong but it held something delicate and dainty seeming inside, intriguing Skylar as she smoothed out the wavy ends with her fingertips.

The wind blew around her, whipping her curly brown hair in her face and reminding her of her chores back home. Swishing her hair back, Skylar retreated from the dark looming rain that had begun to fall down in large tears and sheltered her face from the falling drops and the brown and orange leaves that seemed to be suddenly hurling themselves at her. Placing the crow feather in her pocket gently, she ran home, wishing not to ruin the feathers beauty in the rain.