Strike of Midnight

The Captain smiled down at the young woman before suddenly remembering his duties. "I have to report back to the Grand Duke and alert him that the Prince is not here in the gardens." Alice looked confused and the Captain hurried to explain. "A young woman, whom people are calling the Mystery Princess, arrived at the ball and immediately captured the Prince's attention. I was here looking for him but I found you instead."

Alice smiled but her mind was running in a hundred different directions. Ella would be heartbroken to find out that the Prince was enamored with a different girl, a princess no less! The Captain offered his arm and asked Alice if she would join him to report. The woman accepted happily and together they walked back through the gardens. Alice chatted softly about the different plants, pointing out her favorites and what they could be used for. Entering the palace again, Alice quieted and her eyes suddenly found the floor interesting.

"You know, now that I think about it, the young woman who has interested our Prince looked an awful lot like your friend." The Captain voice was soft and he spoke slowly, as if still unsure of his theory. Alice panicked slightly, her face jerking up and examining his. Ella couldn't possibly be here! Deciding not to give anything away and possibly ruin her friend's chances, Alice let her face become blank of emotion and shrugged noncommittally. Seeing the mask cover the woman's face, the Captain smirked to himself and let the conversation drop. She knew something and her avoidance was basically a confirmation of his suspicions.

Spotting the Grand Duke, the Captain excused himself from Alice's presence and asked that she wait for him to return. The woman nodded and stared after the man longingly. She was standing there, looking every bit like a love-struck puppy when a flash of green caught her eyes. Moving quickly, the young woman hid behind a set of curtains as Lady Tremaine walked past her. Listening for any sign that the Lady had spotted her, Alice began hearing the Captain's conversation despite her best efforts. "People are saying she's a princess. Our prince seems quite taken with her." The Grand Duke's answer was snarky and held a bit of exasperation. The Captain mentioned that since she is a princess, perhaps this could be a good thing.

"I've already promised him in marriage to the Princess Chelina." The Grand Duke's answer had Alice's nose wrinkling in distaste. The poor man couldn't even marry someone he loved because the Grand Duke was seeking his own advantages! Alice wondered what was in it for him and barely registered Lady Tremaine's voice. She heard shuffling and realized that the men were parting ways. That caused Alice to slide out from behind the curtain just as the Grand Duke passed her hiding place and the Captain's eyes immediately found hers. From the look on his face, he knew that she had been listening.

Pulling a corner of her mouth up in a crooked smile, Alice apologized silently with her eyes as she held her hand out to the Captain. Taking the offer and accepted her apology, the Captain slowly led Alice back out toward the gardens. Neither said anything about the incident but the heaviness was palpable in the air. "He is one of my closest friends. I do not believe he should be sold off like cattle to another kingdom." Alice nodded in agreement before laying her head on the Captain's shoulder while they walked arm in arm. "Perhaps he will introduce her to his father and the King will approve. Then they would be able to get married no matter what the Grand Duke has promised anyone."

The Captain sighed and shook his head slowly before making idle chatter with the woman to keep their minds off the subject. The Captain complimented Alice's dress which caused the woman to begin telling him how she had made it herself. Enamored and able to listen to her talk about anything, the Captain kept asking questions about the stitching and materials though he didn't understand most of it. Alice, knowing that he just wanted to keep her talking, began going into detail while trying to keep it simple. Once she was finished telling the Captain everything about her dress, Alice stared up at him with a large smile on her face.

Running the back of his knuckles against the cheek, the man stared down at the unbelievable beauty in front of him. He knows he is completely in love with this woman, despite having only met her a few times. "Can I know your name? Please. I lost sight of you once; it would practically be a crime to lose such a treasure again." The Captain's voice was soft and held tenderness to it that no man had ever used before when speaking to Alice. Distantly they heard to sound of the large clock tower beginning to strike midnight.

The woman nodded and opened her mouth to give her name to the man that she was falling in love with when suddenly they heard the sound of someone running. Alice moved to the side slightly, onto the larger main path, and was shocked to see Ella running toward her. She was wearing a beautiful ball gown that she got from who knows where and her face showed a hint of panic. Her glass slippers, Alice had to do a double take on that, were clinking against the stones and she was staring right at Alice.