PART I: CHAPTER I

"Good morning, people all across the globe!" A newscaster with blonde locks greeted cheerfully as the camera zoomed at her face. "Today, our newly elected president has announced a major change in our community."

In a secluded room, the children of the orphanage settled in. Watching the news that was sent by the only channel. It was a complete lockdown, the media was cut short, only having one government channel to broadcast what was happening to the society today.

Anyone who defies the government will disappear without a trace or a word from the victim. The people have become submissive and rebels were erupting from the harsh hands of the government. Our cities, countries, continents, all of which, were divided into five:

The Expedient or the group of countries where resources was flowing. People who are operating in this continent are mostly humanitarians or people who are into Green Life.

The Opulent or the ones that have the most wealthy countries in terms of their stock exchange and economy-related. This continent is ran by geniuses, actuaries, and statisticians.

The Accord aka the place where rich people hide throughout all of this change. Politicians, entrepreneurs, and royal families. They are all coped up in one continent and even though this was a horrendous idea because if someone were to kill them, they could strike in one place, the people in the Accords made sure that no one of the Nugatory would ever terrorise them.

The Nugatory or for short, the opposite of The Accord. This is where unlawful people land. It's citizens are mostly criminals, rebels, or those who simply want to be in a place where firearms were legal.

The Customary or the regular people. Nobody important, just those who don't fall into the rest of the categories. The customary hold the most people and their continent usually struggle to keep their resources at bay since the Expedients wouldn't even help them.

For a nine year-old like Aubelle, this had been the World War III, even though she barely knew what that meant. As the lady in front of the screen continued talking, she was distracted by her imagination. What if her parents never left her in an orphanage? Would she end up in the Accord instead of living like a normal, sane person in the Customary?

Aubelle was given quite the impression as the introvert girl. She hid herself behind her bestfriend, Isabella. While Aubelle had dirty blonde hair, and steel blue eyes; Isabella has red hair and striking green eyes. She was everything Isabella wasn't.

As Aubelle turned to face her bestfriend ever since she can remember, she saw that Isabella was focused onto what the newscaster was saying. And with that, she tuned in and forgot her previous thoughts.

"... to limit the threats coming from the Nurgatory, The Accords have decided to cancel out the Customary from the list and replace it with the Legionary. Where children, orphan or not, will be trained to be warriors for us against the Nurgatorians. The rest of the population, particularly the adults, will be sent to each continents depending to whichever skill they posses."

"No! Why would we want to be warriors?" Isabella stood up almost immediately. "Don't we get any say in this?"

"Bella please seat down," Their headmistress ordered in her British accent and Isabella sat down politely. "We will come in contact with the Accordians and ask them is they would like to divide you all first before sending you in as troops."

"Okay, ma'am." Bella nodded, fighting off the smile she had on her face. "Did you hear that, Belle? We could be one of the Accordians!"

Aubelle turned her way and shook her head. "The only reason we could be of the Accordians is if we did something visionary that would benefit them or if we were born rich," she spat.

"Oh come on! We could be one of them if we try harder and think of something that could change the world!" She chirped, too loudly. Receiving a glare from one of their classmates, Tyler Simmons. He looked like one of those kids who would bully you at school. If there were still school, nowadays.

"Dream on, Bella!" Aubelle chuckled as Isabella shoved her lightly before joining in shortly after that.

°°°

Three days. The test was over and this afternoon, all the children will be divided. If they fit either in the category of the Expedients, the Opulents, the Accordians, or the Nurgatorians. If they do not fit in either of those, they will become one of the future Legionaries.

"Oh my god, I am so excited for the results!" Isabella bobbed up and down, clasping her hands together as she jumped.

"Mmhmm," Aubelle replied, absent-mindedly as she thought of the possibilities beyond her exam. She was brought out of her thoughts as she saw Isabella in front of her, hands on her hips.

"What?" Aubelle asked, confused and Isabella rolled her eyes.

"Madame Lake just came in saying that our results are here." She said as she helped Aubelle to get up.

"Already?" Aubelle said as she dusted off her skirt.

"Yes, they were early, I think. Anyway, could you get mine? I'll be in the restroom." She said as she strode off to their public restroom.

Aubelle sighed and walked towards their main lobby and waited as their superior handed each child their corresponding envelopes.

"Isabella Sanders!" Madame Lake's voice boomed throughout the room and Aubelle stood up and headed to the mistress.

Madame Lake gave her a quizzed look but gave her Bella's results anyway. Along with it came her envelope as well. Thanking Madame Lake silently, she opened her envelope. In it written in neat, gold strokes were the word: Accordian. Her heart leaped in excitement. Now, she would actually do something with her life.

Excitedly, she opened Isabella's envelope and in there, she nearly choked. She couldn't believe what she saw. Their names were written only at the outside of the envelope and so she switched their results.

Almost hurriedly, she rushed to the mistress and asked something about the schedule of her new category. She replied that they should be leaving at this moment. She handed her Isabella's envelope as she ran to the train station with only one thing in mind.

Isabella cannot handle it, and so I will take her place. I knew she wouldn't forgive me for leaving her but this is for her own good.

Legionary, here I come.

•••

Hi you guys! So, what do you think of the story so far? I wasn't planning on posting this yet cause you know I thought of writing the first ten chaps at first before posting it regulary but I was so excited and I needed to get this story out of my mind! It was bugging me for a month now.

Anyway, vote if you liked it and share me your thoughts. Mwah 😘

Love,
Jade Renner