Desperation, Detonation, and Dementation

The report about the attack in Yorkshire was heard, not only in the Gryffindor common room, but in the Ravenclaw common room as well. The Slytherins and the Hufflepuffs read all about it in The Prophet the next morning. Some, to use a fairly accurate phrase, read it and wept. One Slytherin girl had been notified of her grandparents' murders. A boy from Ravenclaw had his older brother and his brother's wife reported dead to him. They were taken home immediately by morose parents, plucked from amongst the other students in their grief. It was not only these two students that were stolen away and apparently hidden from the danger of going to a magic school in the midst of a wizarding war. Many student left on the train that Easter holidays, not intending to return. Gideon and Fabian had received a letter from their mother, who was adamant that they come home. The twins sent back a letter in protest, and it was agreed that they could at least stay until the end of that year.

Alice had gotten what would be considered the best of news in light of the current situation. Her cousin's case of Dragon Pox had worsened. Seeking treatment, her aunt, as well as the rest of her children, had left their home on the day before the doomed picnic. They had gone to Saint Mungo's in London, where cousin got the right care. He was better now, apparently, and Alice's Aunt had no friends or other family that had died in the attack. It was sad that not everyone could be so lucky.

"I don't understand it", said Sirius, speaking of the leaving students, as he sat in the common room one afternoon "They would be ten times as safe here than at home".

"But they don't understand it either", said James in explanation, "Almost everyone going home has at least one Muggle parent. And the Muggles don't know what's going on in the wizarding world. They probably think that if their kids are back home in the Muggle world they will be safer".

"But they won't be!" Sirius said exasperatedly, "Muggles are one of the main targets!"

"Sirius, we know", said Remus, trying to sooth his friend, "But they are scared and worried. Imagine if the people you cared about most were off in a completely different place, full of things you don't understand, and suddenly that world has very dangerous people in it. Would you want your loved ones to stay there?"

"No, but the world, magical or not, will always have dangerous people in it", Sirius explained, frustrated.

"But these peoples' view of things are twisted by fear", said Remus, "And fear can make people do stupid things".

##

Later that week, after most students whose parents wanted them home had left, and the third term of the year had begun, Sirius discovered a new notice on the common room board as he left for breakfast. As his friends gathered to read the notice, Sirius saw that it informed them of an Apparition course available for all sixth year students.

"Well I know I'm definitely going to", he told his fellow Marauders, "Imagine not having to walk."

Besides, he had been legally capable of Apparition since early November, having turned 17 on the 3rd. His birthday had passed without much fanfare at all from his parents, and while James and the others had held a small dormitory party, they hadn't even been able to smuggle in any Firewhiskey. Legally being able to Apparate, and practice magic outside of school, were the only things Sirius saw to gain from becoming of age while still at Hogwarts.

"That is a brilliant point, Padfoot, which is exactly why I'm going to learn how to Apparate too", agreed James, who was also freshly 17, and would be able to Apparate as soon as he learned how.

"You do realise you're still going to have to walk sometimes, don't you?" asked Remus.

Remus had turned 17 only a coupled of weeks before James, making it three Marauders who could legally Apparate. Peter was the odd one out, who's birthday was in early August during the summer holidays.