Chapter 1

Ba-dump. Ba-dump. Ba-dump. Her heartbeat rang loud in her ears, as she ran through the woods to catch up with her comrades. Their mission had been clear, search the outlying village for any threat of Grims, and destroy them if they saw any. So far they had been lucky. No Grims, no evildoers stealing weapons and mechs from General Ironwood, everything was going smoothly. Too smoothly. This job was supposed to be so big, that they had sent two teams. Team RWBY and Team JNPR had been chosen for this assignment, and so far there had been no sightings of anything really. It was just all so unnerving. Something had to be amiss, never once on a mission had they not found at least a few Grim lurking about. Everything was too quiet. It was putting Ruby Rose on edge. In the months since she had graduated from the academy, she had learned to trust her gut instincts more, and that was handy considering she was the youngest team leader to ever graduate from Beacon. Not to mention, that her team was ranked as one of the highest, along with team JNPR. There was something not right about this place, and in order for her to feel this mission was successful, she would have to figure out what it was with the help of her team.

She finally spotted the bright light of Juane's aura, she was headed in the right direction, that she was certain. Blake noticed her approach, "Ruby's back guys." She said. Ruby slowed her run to a walk, until she finally reached them and stopped to catch her breath. She placed her hand on a tree trunk for support, the rough bark scratching at her skin. Weiss eyed her up and down before asking, "Well, did you see anything? This better be good. I'm not going to wait around here all day, just because you are being paranoid, Ruby. There's nothing here, let's just go home." Ruby shook her head, "I didn't see anything, and that's what is bothering me, Weiss. This was a mission, people were reporting signs of Grim here, and I want to know why they are suddenly all gone. They can't just disappear like that, it's unnatural. Don't you agree?" she asked, standing up straight. "We need to figure out what's going on here, so that we can protect the people living in the villages on the other side of these woods."

Yang took this moment to speak up, "Ruby's right guys, we can't just leave. What if something happens when we do, we'd never forgive ourselves and you know it as well as I do. We need to investigate these woods, and figure out where the Grim could have gone, since they no longer seem to be here. They can't just have vanished." She said. Blake nodded her agreement, Weiss merely shrugged and said, "Fine, I'll help, but I'm not happy about it. I'm so ready to be out of this stinking woods, and get the mud off of my boots." Juane looked at his teammates, crossed his arms before nodding his affirmation. "Yea, we're in too. Since graduation, it's not every day we get to see you guys anymore."

Ruby smiled at each of them, "Great! Well, let's go find those Grim!" she said with as much enthusiasm as she could muster. She turned and led the way back into the darkest part of the forest. She really hoped she would be wrong about this.

-----

Any votes would be greatly appreciated. -Thanks, AW.