Chapter Two

"There's no way in seven hells this is gonna work, Jess," Sabrina insisted like she hadn't just got done telling me that same thing a dozen, dozen times before. If hell existed, the devil would have a hard time convincing her where she was – even if the whole place was on fire and there were a chorus of screams.

"So make it work," I expressed, "it's not like I'm overflowing with options here, Winters," she hated it when I called her by her last name. That is, she hated it in a playful way. It was too much fun to not poke at her so.

"I'm going to make you look like you just served a john and forgot to clean up, I swear it. You should know better than to mess with a girl holding an eyelash curler." She waved the unbelievably polished curler around my face menacingly.

"Fair enough," I laughed, "better to have you as a friend than an enemy anyway."

Sabrina smirked, "You're as wise as I always thought you were. Look here now," she grabbed my chin and adjusted me, the lights of the mirror were becoming particularly annoying, but I knew that I needed some help on this one. I took pride in doing my own makeup, but I had to look believable as some kind of biker chick.

"I'm looking," I insisted, sounding a bit like a child.

"I can't believe you're going to go through with this," Sabrina shook her head, "you know it's crazy, right?" She was always protective of me, even when we were just kids in grade school. She was the big bad wolf, and I was the little lamb. For a time, anyways. She's got a good head on her shoulders, smarter than I could ever hope to be at least. She has a full head of gorgeous black hair that cascades almost to her butt. My favorite thing about her, since the day that I met her, was probably her kind eyes.

"I know," I admitted, "but I have to do it. You know that."

Sabrina didn't say anything. Instead she opted to silently agree.

"So what's going on with you?" I asked, "I haven't heard from you in weeks. That's unlike you," I said in a matter of fact tone. We were always keeping up with one another. She was a constant in my life, and I was a constant in hers. If I was her earth, she was my moon.

"I try to keep you away from guys that I like," she joked, "lest they get the hots for you instead of me. Mama's gotta get hers, you know?" Her lips formed into a sly grin.

A giggle moved through me. Most at the office would be shocked to see me acting so carefree, but Sabrina brought out the best in me. I let my walls down around her, the walls that I spent so much of my life building brick by brick. The serious demeanor, the jests and the focusing on work. I couldn't even comprehend who I was anymore, after what happened with Jerry.

How could you be so stupid? You're a fool's fool, you know.

"I don't know," Sabrina said lazily, putting down the curler and picking up a hair brush in her hand. She brought it to the crown of my head and started crafting my hair to perfection. "Jeremiah's...well..."

"He's hot, you can say it. You like hot." I'd be a hypocrite if I said otherwise.

"And you don't?" She gave me the stink eye, "please. I remember years ago when we were at the club, you had some nobody on your shoulder - I felt bad for the kid," she laughed and I could feel the happiness bubbling beneath me then, "god. He was like a lost puppy when he saw you drooling at the sight of that hottie. That dragon tattoo you thought was to die for." She took in a breath, "I mean, yeah, that dude was hot – but really? A dragon tattoo? You know that dude's got problems."

"Okay okay, I admit it," I put my hands up, "I have my weaknesses. But nobody's perfect."

Sabrina furrowed her brows then, implying that she was somehow different and possibly even above the rest of 'us' mere mortals. She was some of the best people that I'd ever known though, so I only shrugged instead of arguing.

"Well, anyway, you're just about done here. If I could wrap Jeremiah around my finger, I'd have done it by now. But you know, I feel too guilty, I mean she's a skank and all, but I know it's wrong to pine after a guy in a relationship." Sabrina was crushing pretty hard on Jeremiah Gold, basically a prince of the city. Couldn't say that I blame her, really.

"Yeah but you're a better match for him, Sabrina, and you know that. He's not married or anything, I think you should lay it on thick and let the best woman win."

"Maybe," she didn't sound so confident. She grabbed a bottle of Vi D'Lune hairspray and gave my hair a squirt, mussing up the strands of my hair, making a fashionable mess of my wavy hair. "How's that?"

I turned my head from side to side, appraising myself. I looked good, she had a way of things, I'll give her that much. "I think that you're a demon and your colleagues must live in fear of your wicked magics."

Sabrina smiled, "And live in fear they shall," she whispered darkly in my ear, leaning in close. "I think you look good," she added, verbally patting herself on the back.

"Do I look trashy enough?"

Sabrina wrinkled her nose, "I don't know," she admitted, "was that what we were going for?"

"Trashy, but sexy. Isn't that what biker girls look like?"

She shrugged her shoulders, "guess you'll find out for the both of us," Sabrina grinned, "snap a couple of pictures for me? The shirtless, the better."

I raised my brow at her at that, turning to better face her, "For what nefarious devices?"

Sabrina moved back and straightened herself, "You've got your things," she waved a hand nonchalantly, "I've got mine. Do you, Jess, and I'll do me."

I let out a long breath through my nose, she was always so secretive. I think she enjoyed things better that way, making something important out of nothing. "I'll see what I can do."

Sabrina nodded her head, "Well let's get going then. Remember the safeword?"

I pulled myself out of the wooden chair that stood behind Sabrina's vanity table, "Really?" I asked, "how am I going to forget Fabulous Flamingos? You better pray I text it, or you're going to lose a best friend to death by embarrassment."

Sabrina looked legitimately terrified, "Oh my god," he put a hand to her mouth, "that can kill you?"

I stared at her mute and unimpressed with her sense of humor.