Chapter 2

"Alright boys, you know how this works, stand up straight, spread your legs and arms wide so you look like a star. Basic procedure," I hear the guard walk up towards our cell. He slips the key in and turns it until there is a loud click. Ice and I slowly get up and do what the guard said.

"Why do you do this every time?" As I say this I think back to a movie I saw once where a guy was in prison and he made a shiv out of some newspaper that the prisoners were allowed to use.

"We don't want anyone to get hurt because some smart guy thought it would be fun to bring a weapon to play time," I've never seen this guy before but the hint of sarcasm in his voice makes him seem like he's been doing this a while.

"Can we go now?" Ice asked the guard after he searched us and our cell.

"Yeah Ice, show the new kid where to go." I follow Ice down the long corridor, we walk through some bars and then finally I feel the sunshine fall on my face. Its late afternoon I think. I can tell because the sun is setting slowly over the tall concrete walls. I survey the area and see about 50 other boys, some are running, playing tiggey, some playing basketball with some pebbles as they don't provide us any balls.

"Hey Look! It's the new kid" I turn around to see a 5 foot nothing guy standing next to me he is up to my chest. I hear footsteps behind me and next thing I know there are at least 15 of the 50 turning and facing me. The pale blue jumpsuits that we have to wear makes it hard to tell people apart.

"Uh... Hey guys," my voice is shaky and soft and I struggle to get the words out. Hopefully they can't tell; they might think I'm weak and make my life a living hell.

"What's your name mate?" the short kid asks me. I'm not sure whether to say my nickname or my full name?

"I'm Lethargus but you can call me Argus," my voice is a little less shaky now, I'm trying to act tough so these guys won't pick on me or so they won't start fights with me, but it all happens really quickly.

"Come on guys. Let's teach Mr. 'Argus' here the juvie ritual," I hear someone mutter from the crowd which is slowly growing. Some of the kids start pushing me around like I'm a balloon and their trying to keep it from hitting the floor. I look around for any signs of what to do, maybe a guard of someone that I can signal to for help. I see no one. Should I fight? This is juvie isn't it, dog eat dog world? But there are so many of them, do I pick on the weakest one like a lion to a deer, pick them out of the crowd just to prove a point to the others?

"Stop!" I yell trying to free myself

"Look! The kids trying to struggle!" A voice from the crowd shouts. The pushing slowly starts to get more ferocious. This is my chance, I have to fight now, if I don't do anything then eventually I'll get knocked down and who knows what'll happen then. Maybe they'll start trying to kick me like a soccer ball. I look through the crowd as quickly everyone looks the same. I decide that if I'm going to die right here and now I might as well go out fighting. I raise my fists like a boxer at the start of the round.

"Looks like someone wants a fight," some kid yells. This is my chance now, next time I get pushed close enough to someone I'm going to punch them right in the mouth. But what if I kill them? What if the same thing I did while walking home happens again? One punch can kill and I learnt that the hard way. Maybe a softer punch to the jaw will be alright. It's my only shot. I ready my fists and right as I'm pushed towards someone I straighten out my elbow, swing my arm and feel the pain jolt through my knuckles and up my arm. The kid I just punched stumbles back in shock, his eyes go from happy and excited to rage. Crap! He is going to fight back. I thought I was just going to show them that I'm not one to mess with. Alarm bells are ringing through my head when I focus on the person I just hit, he has his fists raised like mine were.

"Okay Mr. Tough guy, let us see how strong you really are when someone fights back," muttered the guy I just hit. This guy isn't as tall as me, he is about up to my shoulders but he is also lanky like I am. He throws a punch which barely missed my head, I just dodged it. I throw a punch, he managed to get most of his body out the way and his shoulder is the only thing I could manage to hit. My hand throbs with the force.

The next thing I know this kid is throwing a barrage of punches and they're coming my way. I block most of them but one hits me in the gut which winds me and one connects onto my ear. Suddenly I can see the world spinning. It looks like I'm fighting two people. I grab what I think is the guy and we both fall to the ground.

A loud whistle sounds and guards are yelling but I can't hear what they're saying. I can't understand what they are saying, my ears are ringing and I'm trying to focus on getting some air into my system. I feel a hand on my back, I'm lifted onto my feet and taken to the nearest wall.

My hearing is slowly coming back and my breathing pattern is returning to normal. I can hear some guards yelling that playtime is over and everyone is to return to their cell. There will be a roll call and anyone unaccounted for will have to suffer consequences seen fit by the guards. My arms are put behind my back and cold metal cuffs are getting put onto my wrists.

"What were you thinking mate?" I hear the smart ass guard ask me. What was I thinking? Why didn't I just run away or call out to the guards? I'm an idiot. The guard is escorting me down through the bars that I passed through to go outside, down the long corridor and instead of turning into my cell I continue. I go through a big door and there are two cells next to each other. They aren't like the other cells. Everything is pitch black except for the little light being emitted from the small window at the top of the cell wall.

"This is punishment. Solitary confinement. You get three days and after those three days if I don't think that you have learnt your lesson then you'll get longer." The guards tone went from sarcastic to serious. Why did I do it? I shouldn't have hit that guy. When walking home from the milk or just then. Why am I so violent? Why do I like to hurt people? All it does is get me into trouble. I never used to be like this, what changed?