In A Fairytale World

I keep having this reoccurring fantasy where we are sitting together and your arm is around me. I close the space and lay my head on your shoulder, we are happy together. You look down at me and smile so beautifully as I wonder how lucky I am to be with someone as amazing as you. The side of your body warms mine as we sit together perfectly content. I feel happy again all because of you.

But the sad part is none of this is true. And is it strange that I want for it to be?

Maybe you did like me once upon a time but I was still stuck in another fairytale. My Prince Charming wasn't all he was cracked up to be. I felt like Sleeping Beauty. I was so blinded by someone else like I was sleeping. Maybe it should have been you.

It seems as if my whole life is a fairytale gone wrong. The author put me in the wrong story then erased a large part of it. The ending was bad and things were left unsaid. She put me in another book where you were my prince. She is still writing my fairytale, and maybe you're the perfect ending, or at least the one that goes right.

But this Princess is shy and doesn't know what she is capable of. She is too afraid to make the first move, she doesn't think that guys find her pretty or that her personality isn't what they want. She won't go changing to please somebody but the doubt gets to her more than it should.

Life isn't a fairytale. You don't have the beautiful and perfect princess and the handsome price that just shows up and wins her over. A kiss won't change an eternal sleep. Getting invited to a ball isn't going to happen. You aren't going to stumble across a house with seven dwarfs. And kissing frogs, well that's just weird.

Reality is tough sometimes. Whether you like me or not, that's up to the author. And maybe you aren't my happily ever after, but you could be my once upon a time.