Chapter 5

Kira

I woke up feeling absolutely terrible. My head was throbbing like a drum beating against my skull, and my palms were sweaty. To make matters worse, my throat felt parched and scratchy.

"Ugh! I'm sick. What should I do now?" I muttered to myself, scanning the room for any signs of life other than my own. Thankfully, no one was around to witness me talking to myself, especially not Damien.

Just as I was about to get up, the door to my room swung open, causing my heart to skip a beat at the sight of Damien. I took a moment to admire him. He was wearing black joggers that hung low on his hips and had a towel draped around his neck, indicating that he had just showered. His eyes were fixed on me, and I felt a nervous flutter in my stomach, so I quickly looked away.

"You look sick, Cara Mia," he said with genuine concern in his voice. Does he really care? Or is he just toying with my emotions and mind? Just yesterday, he was kissing another woman.

But let's be honest, she's stunningly beautiful with a body to die for, while I'm just an ordinary Jane. They would make a perfect couple, both equally attractive and sharing the same background.

I'm starting to develop feelings for a man I've only known for three weeks and four days. It hurt to see his reaction to her kiss, and I couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy in my heart. How can I compete with a woman who seems to have a long history with him?

Oops, I forgot to answer him. "Yes, I don't feel too good," I finally replied. He stood there, staring at me intently, and I began to feel uneasy.

Clearing his throat, he informed me that he would send one of the maids to take care of me and that he wouldn't be home today because he had to go to "work." I simply nodded, and he walked out the door without a second glance.

Ugh, I miss my best friends. They must be incredibly worried. I'll have to call them once I find my phone. In the meantime, I decided to go back to sleep, hoping that this sickness would pass soon.

••••••

I was startled awake from my nap by a gentle touch on my forehead. Startled and afraid, I quickly sat up, accidentally banging my head on the headboard.

"Ouch!" I exclaimed, feeling a throbbing headache coming on. I looked up to find a concerned maid standing before me, looking quite frightened.

"Are you okay, ma'am?" she asked. She appeared to be around 23, with pale skin, black hair tied up in a loose bun, and small, brown eyes. Overall, she was quite pretty.

"I'm fine, please call me Kira," I replied, not wanting to come across as rude. She seemed taken aback, as if she expected me to be hostile. After a moment of hesitation, she smiled.

"Okay, Kira," she said.

She seemed genuinely nice and friendly. I hoped my judgment of her was correct, and that we could become friends. Speaking of friends, I hadn't seen Marco since our last encounter with Damien. I hoped he was alright and that Damien hadn't harmed him. I couldn't bear the thought of it being my fault. Maybe Marco was just busy with work. Yes, that must be it.

"Oh, I'm sorry. What's your name?" I asked, realizing that I wasn't alone.

"Angelica Sarieno," she smiled. She sounded Italian, if I was correct. Regardless, it was a beautiful name that suited her angelic appearance.

I decided to share my opinion. "You have a lovely name," I said.

She blushed and whispered a thank you. Despite looking at least three years older than me, she reminded me of myself - an introvert.