Getting my Name / Finding Her

CHAPTER 1 -> BABY

I was walking aimlessly through the forest just outside of the second town of region five, you know like I always do, when Xavier dropped down from the tree in front of me.

Xavier and I have been friends since the first school year. Well my first school year. He was in his fifth year of age and I was in my fourth year.

"Hey baby!" He flashed an almost perfect white smile, his dark honey eyes gleaming. "What's running through that pretty little head of yours?"

"Nothing that concerns you." I sighed. "And would you not call me baby all the time?"

"It's not like you have an official name!" He grinned boyishly at me.

"Yet. I don't have one yet."

"Well, let me know when you do, baby."

I punched him in the shoulder playfully. "What did I just say about that?"

His grin got impossibly broader. "I don't remember, baby. Tell me again please." He winked.

I groaned, completely exasperated with Xavier. "You are definitely a pain in my ass."

"That's what I'm here for, beautiful! Come on I've got something I want to show you."

"Finally, something other than baby!" A smile started to spread across my cheeks.

"Keep up baby!"

Nevermind, I thought to myself as I followed him through the forest.

We came to a large ovular clearing with an old bent oak near the center. I watched Xavier circle the huge tree as he lightly trailed his fingers on the bark.

"What are you doing?" I asked a little loudly.

His finger flew to his lips as he winked secretively. A low whistle escaped his mouth the moment he touched a small knot at perfect eye level to him. The tree lifted itself up slightly revealing a small hole big enough to let a single person enter. "It's my new little home." He climbed in easily and gestured for me to follow.

"Woah," I gasped. "Already have it carpeted and there's doors too." I smiled.

"Yeah I've got to call in Jack to have him do my plumbing and electrical work. But Cody and Nose should be here by now."

"Your uncle Cody is the new head isn't he?"

Xavier grinned. "Yes ma'am, he is."

Suddenly a large white wolf leaped in through the opening followed by Xavier's burly uncle.

"Hey darlin' girl," Cody rumbled as he pulled me into his embrace.

"What's up, Cody?" I mumbled softly into his broad chest.

His face lit up slightly. "I looked over your application last week and it was well written and filled out professionally. I had to accept it."

I stepped away from him and bumped into Xavier. "You're kidding, right?" I looked frantically at both of them. Cody shook his head the smile finally showing on his lips and not just his eyes. "Oh, gods above." I whispered.

Xavier's strong arm crept around my waist and held me to him as he gently kissed my left temple. "Congrats, baby."

My heart fluttered and my stomach started to heat up. Xavier and I had only ever been friends. He'd never kissed me before. We hardly even hugged each other. But at that moment I didn't care that he called me baby. My brain stuttered for answers as I smiled up at Xavier not knowing what else to do.