Chapter 7

Chapter 7

“Where are you taking me, Miss Edwards?” Rodrique questioned once he took his seat on BART – the Bay Area Rapid Transit subway. He glanced behind him to confirm his dependable bodyguard, Pete, was still with him then turned back towards his enthusiastic date. He enjoyed watching the excitement she got from surprising him and sat amazed that someone would go to such pains to present him with a gift. He was quickly getting accustomed to her unselfish ways that made him feel special and cared about.

He hadn't anticipated the feeling that had developed over the past week for this incredible dark haired lady. She was so sweet and innocent in her demeanor, and not only with him, he had observed it in her relationship with her roommate, Jill, and her church family. Everthing she did for those dear to her heart even the way she spoke to total strangers fully demonstrated her love for Christ.

He had never met anyone like her in all his life and his heart had never been in turmoil over someone – until now. With thoughts of Teagaon beginning each of his days and the urgency he felt to see her every night since meeting her, he felt himself tumbling head-over-heels in love with her.

Then after what transpired between them last night at the ice skating rink, he had had second thoughts about seeing her tonight. He couldn't shake the memory of how good it felt to hold her so close to him, how she had smelled of fresh cut flowers, and how close he had come to kissing her. What scared him most was the look he saw in her eyes at that very same moment.

All night he had chided himself for allowing things to go so far in this charade of his. How uncomplicated and harmless his plan had started out, a simple desire not to be recognized; a chance to find himself. Instead he found the only woman that had ever brought joy to his heart and unconditionally accepted him for who he was. A woman he would never be allowed to claim as his own and keep his title.

In reality, she didn't even know who he really was, she only knew who he wanted to be.

He contemplated his situation as he inconspicuously watched her profile. His heart broke at the thought of how the truth about the lie he was living would affect her. Because of the love he felt for her he couldn't allow this lie to go on, he had to tell her – now.

“Teagon, there's something I have to tell you...” The din on the subway as it entered the station buried his words.

She shook her head. “Sorry, Rick, I couldn't hear you with all that noise. This is where we get off, it's not far now. We'll get a cab for the rest of the way. Was there something you wanted to say to me or are you taking a guess at your surprise?” She led him to a waiting cab then whispered the destination to the driver.

Maybe now's not the time to tell her.

“No, but you've got my curiousity peaked. Aren't you going to give me any hints?” He entreated.

“O.K., but only one.” She stifled a giggle. “Mom and apple pie won't be there!”

“Now what is that supposed to mean?” He was amused.

“Ah, ah, ah, I said only one.” She teased.

“But I don't get it?”

“Look over there and you will.” She pointed out his window as the cab turned into a parking lot.

He followed the direction of her finger where he found a sign reading Oakland Stadium, home of the Angels. He felt speechless, but managed to form some words, uncertain of what they sounded like coming out of his mouth. “Your surprise for me is a baseball game!?”

She couldn't have received a more rewarding thank you than the one written all over his face. “When you had mentioned the other day that you had heard about American baseball and always wanted to see a game, I knew I was going to do this. The company I work for gets season passes so it really wasn't any big deal, and your reaction made it a whole lot of fun.”