Prologue

"Tagal naman. Pa importante. Isang oras na kong nag-aantay, hoy. Konting respeto naman!"

She sighs as she scans her eyes around, looking for a familiar face. She's been waiting for an hour now and although she can leave already, she didn't want to because she still wants to see him.

"Gaaaaah. Gutom na ako, layo naman ng McDo dito."

She impatiently taps her foot and twirls a a pen in her hand. A couple passed by her earlier, being all lovey-dovey with each other that she wasn't able to stop herself and loudly mumbled "maghihiwalay din kayo". They turned to her, the girl looking all deadly with her eyes adorned with uneven eyeliner. She quickly reverted her gaze on her phone and pretended to have been looking at it. She even shook her head, as if disappointed, to complete her act. The couple eventually moved away, making Maine take a deep breath.

Her pen falls from her hand when the little kid she's been watching ran around tripped and cried hysterically. As she picks her pen, a pair of feet, wearing a familiar pair of neajes
"Maine."

Her heart pounds loudly against her chest when she heard that baritone yet sweet voice, feeling nervous and giddy at the same time. She stands up from her position, breathes another deep sigh and let her eyes travel from his chest, which is her eye level, up to his Adam's apple, to his lips which are wearing his breathtaking smile, nose, and then his eyes. A smile slowly etches in her lips when she fully sees his handsome face.

"Hi."

The guy takes a step towards her, leans in and slightly pouts his lips to give her a ki----

"MENDOZA! MISS MENDOZA!"

"Meng, tawag ka ni sir!!!"

Maine feels an elbow forcefully hit her left arm, jolting her awake from her daydreaming. She turns to her seat mate, Spencer, and glares at her while she rubs her arm.

"Aray ah!"

Spencer widens her eyes at her and frantically pushes her body to face to the front but Maine did not bulge, even tries to reach her to give her a pinch. Footsteps echo around the room, eyes of the students following the professor as he makes his way down the back where the student he called earlier is seated.

"Miss Mendoza, it seems like you are bored in my class."

Maine's body stiffens when she heard the stern voice of her professor, guilt and worry washing through herself. She slowly turns to where he is standing, a small, awkward smile drawn in her face.

"Do you want to be excused, go home, and just do whatever it is you're doing? Kasi mukhang mas importante 'yung iniisip mo compared sa lesson ko."

Maine vigorously shakes her head as she stands up from her seat. She can hear her heartbeat in her ear, thanks to the extreme nervousness that she is feeling because of the serious face and tone her professor is using. He barely gets mad in class, he doesn't even yell, which is making her more feel uncomfortable because it seems that she is the first one to experience the wrath of her Literature mentor.

"I'm sorry po. Hindi na po maulit. Sorry, sir Faulkerson."