three

courtney's pov

"duncan's just not a soft guy, you know?" geoff said while bridgette sat on his lap. she nodded in agreement and took a sip of her soda.

"maybe you should just take a break from him, court. maybe this is a sign."

i bit my lip and looked off into the distance. the sun was setting and the air was growing chillier but the warm water of the hot tub made it easy to stay out here.

bridge slid over on her butt toward me and dipped her toes in. "i'm sorry you have to go through this. i know it must be hard."

geoff slid over as well. "yeah, that must be totally not cool. but hey, at least you get to stay at our house for a few nights."

i flashed geoff a small smile and nodded. "i can't thank you guys enough for letting me crash here."

the couple nodded and looked at each other. then, bridgette got up and turned to geoff. "me and court are gonna talk over by the fireplace, okay? why don't you head inside and warm up the pizza we ordered?"

geoff nodded and got up as well, sauntering over to the sliding glass door and stepping inside. i got out of the hot tub and wrapped a towel around my shoulders and then we made our way to the fireplace, sitting down on the logs they placed down for seats.

she flashed me a nervous smile, and then i knew for sure that something was up. i balled up my fists to prepare me for what she was about to spill.

"so, courtney, you're like one of my best friends...well, you're more like my sister," she giggled and then her expression instantly went to serious. "and i know that i have to tell you everything."

i bit my lip. "what is it?"

i could easily tell that she was struggling to tell me. my heart started to pound and i could barely hear the crackling fire right in front of me.

"i'm also friends with gwen, as you know," her voice shook. "and she's told me some things..."

"dammit, bridge, what is it?!"

"duncan's cheating on you!" she exclaimed. "with gwen!"