o n e

Soojung's POV

Chewing my gum and listening to my music, I walked down the hallways of my school, hands in my pocket. Just as I was about to turn a corner, "Yah. Jung Soojung, let's go on a date." Kim Hanbin, who stopped me in my tracks said as he took off my headphones. "No. Why should I?" 

I forcefully grabbed my headphones back and walked away. Just as I did, I was grabbed back and pinned against the wall. His hands grazed my cheeks and had a dirty smirk, "You might not want to do that baby girl, I could end you in a minute." I chuckled bluntly.

"Do I amuse you?" He said with a slight annoyed tone. "I could end you in 30 seconds." I said, smirking and dusting his shoulder. "You bitch." He said as he grabbed my arm tightly, but was immediately flipped over by me. "What are you weaklings doing?! Grab her!" He instructed his followers.

I pushed him towards the wall and proceeded to defend myself from the other two, who instantly punched each others as I ducked. "Are you guys idiots? GRAB HER!" Hanbin shouted at the other two. They ran towards me with their bats and proceeded to swing it in the air.

Grabbing both their bats, I flipped both of them, throwing them on the walls. Just as I did, another two attempted to grab my arms, only to be hit by the baseball bats. I threw the remaining bats at Hanbin who was hiding, grabbed my bag and walked off, as if nothing happened. 

By then, a crowd already gathered and I saw my best friend Avery walk to me, "You have to stop flipping people and throwing them on the walls. This is the 3rd time in 2 weeks." I arrived at my locker and smirked at her before closing my locker. "They wanted to make out with the wall, I'm just helping them."

I walked into the abandoned library in the abandoned building which was taken over by a bunch of rowdy students and proceeded to rest by a wall, listening to my music once again. Just then, someone walked past me, stepping over my legs. I looked up to see a guy looking at the books by the shelf. Who even reads nowadays?

I took off my headphones and stood up. Staring at the guy picking out his books with my hands in my pocket. He looks new. Our eyes met for an instant and he walked away. I continued following him and he stopped at another shelf. I did the same thing for the next 10 minutes before he spoke.

"Don't you have anything better to do, Jung Soojung?" His deep voice rang in my ears as I smirked. "So you know me." He looked at me, slightly annoyed and proceeded to walk to the tables and I followed him. He sat on a table and I immediately pulled the chair and took a seat.

"Who said you could sit here?" He asked, dark eyes looking at me. "Nobody. But nobody said I couldn't either." I said, winking at him as he rolled his eyes, directing his attention back to the book he was reading. "Me Before You? What, are you into romance?" I said, laughing.

"Yeah, any problem with that?" He clicked his tongue. I laughed and shrugged before Hoshi walked over, slinging an arm over the guy. "Yah, Soojung ah. Go easy on our Wonwoo, he's new and still sensetive." Oh, so his name is Wonwoo. "He's with you guys? Damn, you guys are really out to hit the quota huh."

Wonwoo looked up from his book, "What's that suppose to mean?" I just chuckled, "I thought you guys could do better Hosh, especially with Coups on your team." Wonwoo looked at me, obviously annoyed. "Well, Wonwoo is pretty good. He's our childhood friend." 

"What happened to Chanwoo? Wasn't he close to Vernon? Should've recruited him then this bamboo stick." Wonwoo dropped his book and slammed his palm on the table, "Who are you calling bamboo stick?" I rolled my eyes, "Oh dear, Captain Obvious! I was calling a guy named Wonwoo bamboo stick."

Hoshi tried to hold in his laughter, "Yah, what's this? Lover's quarrel?" Wonwoo threw his spare book at Hoshi and I threw a random piece of wood next to me. "Lovers with this man? I'd rather date Kim Hanbin, hell no." Wonwoo stood up, "I'd rather date the trashcan then you too."

I laughed and stood up, "Dating one of your own kinds, I see." Wonwoo's eyes immediatly widened and Hoshi choked on his own saliva. "You should watch your back at night." He said, dark eyes looming over me. Obviously unintimidated, I laughed, "I handle myself well. You should watch yours every now and then."

I walked away, pulling his chair away from him as well. Just as I reached the wall, a loud thump was heard. "JUNG SOOJUUUUUNG!" A deep shout echoed and I giggled before putting my headphones back on, closing my eyes and inhaling the smell of books and cement.

After a few songs, I felt a slight tap on my shoulders and I opened my eyes to Avery pulling a book out of the shelf. "Maths." She said and I shook my head, "Nope. Skipping it." Avery smiled, "Good choice mate. I'm joining in." She plopped next to me and I slipped into dreamland almost immediatly.

I woke up to loud banging and thumping on the ground and I groaned. "Coups and Mingyu are practicing." I sighed and grabbed my cigaratte pack and walked to the centre of the library. "YAH KWON HOSH! It's noisy, make them shut up or I will." I said, and walked out of the library.

Walking down the stairs by the abandoned building and library, I lighted a cigar and breathed out heavily. Just then, footsteps were heard. I immediatly kept quiet and grabbed the wooden stick next to me before shouting towards the noise, "Who's there?!" A tall figure walked down the stairs.

"It's me, Wonwoo. And please, for Christ's sake, put that stick away." I just clicked my tongue and threw it aside before continuing to smoke my cigaratte. "Can I have a puff?" Wonwoo asked and I just passed it over to him. "You're a smoker?" He nodded. "Used to."

He returned the cigaratte and I took a puff before asking, "What do you mean used to?" He sighed and leaned against the wall. "I used to smoke but stopped after I started dating my ex-girlfriend. But now that she's gone, I decided, why not go back." He said, and I could sense the pain in his words.

I shrugged and cautiously asked, "If you don't mind, what happened between you and your ex?" His dark eyes looked at me and this time, he was staring into my soul. "She committed suicide. She was sexually assaulted by her dad." My jaw literally dropped. 

"After she died, I felt so bad about myself and I didn't have the desire to live again. I felt like the worst person ever, as her boyfriend. I couldn't even bring myself to attend the funeral. I didn't deserve to." He said, looking down. I took one last puff and stepped on my cigaratte, putting it out.

"Sometimes, things happen. We think we have it under control, but really, we never do." I looked at him, who was still looking down. "To me, love is like smoking a cigaratte. It's harmful and bad for you, but it's addictive and you're addicted to the pain. When you finish a cigar, you light another. That's how it works." I said, smiling at him.

"Come on, let's go grab some food. My treat." I smiled and walked towards the fenced door behind the building. He nodded and his eyes followed after my figure before he started to slowly catch up with me. Our eyes met and he smiled before mumbling to himself, 

"I thought I lost all hope to live, but now I have another reason. I have lighted up another cigaratte and I don't plan on putting it out."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

(a/n): Thought of this while watching Doctors and Uncontrollably Fond! I really like the idea of independent women being able to stand up for themself, which is the driving force that pushed me to make this story. How's the first chapter? I hoep you guys like it and look forward to the next chapters~

shiiiiyoon