Chapter 7 (The Liar Me)

The morning came, I am still shocked and terrified of telling Troy the truth. The truth of Sam's reappearance. Petrified of his reaction and the outcome of my ex-boyfriend's return. Today is Sunday so we were both free from work. I've got twenty-four hours to tell him and explain everything but I just can't do it, I am not ready. Not yet ready for another conflict that might end our story and the boys' friendship too. That would be so heavy to carry in my conscience. I was out of words, actually not talking to Troy since last night. So I began apologizing...

"Mister? (I hugged him from the back) " Angel

"Yes?" Troy

"I'm so sorry!" Angel

" For what?" Troy

"For not talking since last night. I am just having some work troubles." Angel

"Oh! no need to be sorry." Troy

"but..." Angel

"As long as you are here with me, I'm good. I love you." Troy

"I love you too." Angel

Until the night came... I was still not able to tell Troy. I know this is something he should know but I don't want to destroy the peaceful atmosphere in the house, not even his good mood. So I decided, not to bother him with this problem anymore. I shouldn't drag him into this, I'll solve this and finish everything I had with my past without gambling my future with Troy, our future. That night, I texted Sam, " Let's meet tomorrow, we need to talk". He did not reply to my message, so I guess he was already asleep. Troy was deeply sleeping beside me. "I'll just call him early tomorrow or better yet visit his house," I told myself and went to sleep.

NEXT MORNING: 9:00 AM

I was sitting on my chair inside my office. "Should I call him? Why would he ignore my messages? What should I do? I have to talk to him." I was massaging my forehead, to make me relax. I was having psychosomatic pain in my head. Maybe I stressed out myself too much. "I need to finish this, I will call him". So I dialed his phone number for the first time after all these years. It started ringing but he did not answer my first call. Then I tried calling him again and again. After four times dialing his phone number, finally he picked it up. But...it was not him, it was her, a girl's voice answered his phone, a voice I could not recall but it was a voice I have heard of.

She said: "Hello, who is this?" I had changed my number since the day Sam left me, so it was a number surely not registered on his phone. "I am Angel Smi..." I was about to tell her my full name when she recognized me. "Angel Smith? Our dear Angel! How are you?" She said. " How did you know my name?", I asked. Then she replied, " Your aunt, Sam's mom. It's been a long time, how are you?" I said, "I am fine, where is Sam?" Then she told me that they are in the hospital and Sam is currently undergoing some tests to see his condition and his brain's progress. She asked me to see her today and I said "yes" to her.

AT TOWN'S HOSPITAL:

I arrived at 11:00 AM and saw aunt sitting outside the Hospital's laboratory room.

"You came! Come here, dear. How are you? We missed you." Sam's Mom

"I'm good. How's Sam?" Angel

"He is inside undergoing MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging-a test that uses a magnetic field and pulses of radio wave energy to make pictures of organs and structures inside the body) scanning." Sam's Mom

"Why? What happened to him? " Angel

" He is better than ever but we have to make sure everything's good. It's almost lunchtime. Come, let's go to the canteen, I'm hungry. (she smiled at me)" Sam's Mom

" Ahm. Okay, but how about Sam?" Angel

"I'll just text him." Sam's Mom

We arrived at the canteen, ordered food, and had a chat.

"So, what's new about you? It has been more than 4 years since we left for California." Sam's Mok

"I have been busy with my restaurant." Angel

We started eating and a few minutes after...

" Dear, can I ask you a favor?" Sam's Mom

I simply nodded.

She grasped my hand and said... Please. let us keep it a secret. Remember, the letter I left for you? I don't want to let Sam know about what I did. He does not have a clue about the letter. I would not want Sam to hate me, and I'm sure you would not want that to happen too. You understand me, right dear?

" Aunt, Don't worry I will keep my mouth shut." Angel

"Thank you, Dear."

Sam came and we continued eating lunch together, recalling the past, actually more on our past intimate relationship and future plans.