The Letters

It was on that first fall, just after Oliver had been officially elected as mayor of Star City, when the first letter came in. Oliver never imagined that being in office would bring the novelty of receiving what in essence was fan mail. Especially in these modern times when there are more efficient and immediate methods of communication.

Felicity, who was at the time still fighting against Palmer Tech's board to get her job back as CEO, and as if she didn't have enough working with him on the nights too, helped him expand his presence as mayor in the social media. In short time, the inhabitants of the city could interact with City Hall and him in all the platforms available. He was everywhere.

To his pleasant surprise, not all messages were complaints as he thought they would be. Many were of encouragement and gratitude toward him and his good services. Hence the fan mail.

Apparently, there were still people that preferred using the old fashioned and regular mail. Dozens of letters arrived at City Hall every week. People on his staff had the job of sorting them out. Just a few of those letters would get to his desk, while the rest would be replied by somebody on the PR team, he supposed.

Early in the morning one day, Oliver was checking the correspondence that Teresa, his assistant, had left for him on his desk. Unlike any day, that time there was one out of the ordinary. The writing on it was clearly from a child. Curiosity made him read it right away. He didn't expect all the feelings surging inside him as he read.

For what he could guess, the child was about eight or nine years old. That made him think about his own son and how he wished that things were different. Perhaps that was the reason why Oliver put so much care in reading. He imagined that who was writing to him was William.

"Teresa, could you come to my office for a moment, please?" he asked her through the intercom.

"I'll be right there."

Five seconds later, she opened the door of his office and walked in. "Do you need anything, sir?

"I found this letter on my desk. Do you know who sent it?"

The envelope was nowhere to be seen and the message was signed by 'Guillermo Reina'.

Teresa came closer to examine the paper, "Oh, I'm sorry, sir. My mistake. This shouldn't be here. I don't how it got mislaid. I'll take it to Peter. He handles this kind of things."

"No, no. It's okay, Teresa. I'll reply to the letter myself. Just find out where it came from."

"As you wish, sir," she smiled at him, giving the letter back. Before she left his office, she paused at the door and turned back to him. "You know, Mr. Queen, Peter keeps the most touching letters you get, most of them written by children like that one, and all say the same thing. You're their hero."

Oliver had come a long way in accepting when someone labeled as such. He no longer denied it outright when it was about his alter ego, but still had some reticence when someone said it the public persona. About Oliver Queen.

"I'm just a man, Teresa," he said, shyly.

"Not for those children, sir. Neither for many of us."

With that, she left him alone. Oliver decided to accept her words. He didn't feel like a hero, not really. He had failed to save many people, including those closest to him. The city was regrouping once again, after the destruction that Darhk had left behind. If he had been smarter and faster, no one would have suffered. The team wouldn't have split. Laurel could be still alive.

But perhaps being a hero wasn't about coming victorious every time. Maybe it was about never giving up. About fight with the best of your abilities, hoping it was enough, and getting up when you fell. To fight for what was right, and not for what was easy.