Rainfall: Nicolaus

///

I walked sluggishly down the city's street, carrying supplies from the craft store for my school projects. The past few days had been overwhelming with assignments as the vacation approached.

As I navigated the narrow road lined with stalls, I felt the chill in the air and saw the dark clouds spreading across the sky. It looked like it would rain heavily, but I had packed my large black umbrella in my brown leather backpack. It was so big, I felt like a dwarf hiding under a mushroom.

A few minutes later, the gloomy clouds began to release heavy drops of rain. My umbrella shielded me from the downpour. The streets quickly became slushy, and my shoes started to get muddy. Remembering the forecast of a nearby low-pressure area, I realized the storm was intensifying. I decided to seek shelter in a nearby shop.

I spotted a pastry shop—their pastry shop. My heart raced as I approached it. That shop held so many memories for us, though now, perhaps, only for me. We had met there, and our friendship had blossomed there. But all of that had changed when she got a boyfriend.

She had vanished from my life like a bubble, rarely meeting me anymore. Our friendship had faded, but I still clung to the hope that we could rekindle it. She was my best friend, and I secretly loved her.

I pushed the glass door open with all my strength, the chimes ringing a familiar high-pitched sound. Memories flooded back as I walked in and found a wooden table in the corner. Nervously, I sat down, hoping she wasn't there. I ordered a white chocolate-topped doughnut with almonds and a mocha frappe, just to pass the time and wait for the rain to stop.

As I ate, I reminisced about the delicious doughnuts and perfectly balanced frappes. The rain continued, so I decided to stay a bit longer, enjoying the free Wi-Fi and taking pictures of the shop's new designs.

While reviewing the photos, one caught my eye—a girl sitting at a table, waiting for someone. Zooming in, my heart skipped a beat. It was my best friend. I glanced around and saw her sitting with a guy. They seemed to be in a heated discussion. Suddenly, she stood up, her face a mix of anger and tears.

"Tyrone, we're over," she said.

"What?! Why?" he stammered.

"Because I realized my heart belongs to someone else. I saw you with another girl in the park yesterday," she cried.

He tried to explain, but she cut him off. "It doesn't matter. My heart reminded me that I should love someone better than you. And it's my best friend, Nicolaus. I love him."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. She loved me? I stood up and walked toward their table, my heart pounding. She looked at me, tears streaming down her face. I hugged her tightly.

"Zoe, I love you too," I whispered, mustering all my courage.

Tyrone stood up and left the shop. The rain had stopped, and the sun began to shine, bringing warmth and light. The street looked happy again.

I felt a weight lift off my shoulders. We had confessed our feelings, and now, we were more than best friends—we were lovers.

If I knew what love was, it was because of her. And now, we would be together forever. She would always be my favorite place of peace and love, and I would strive to be the best for her. I promised myself to make her smile and never let her cry again.