• Chapter Five - Late •

• C H A P T E R  F I V E •

Late

University of Cambridge - 1989

Huffing and puffing, the university student paced down the halls and didn't stop. 

Despite the fact that he was already late, he gripped tight to his bag and books- ensuring nothing would fall off to make him even later. And he certainly didn't want that. 

He brushed his hair back with his fingers and kept running, thinking he would make it, and also making sure he didn't get embarrassed. Otherwise, his days at university would be over. 

The British student, Thomas, kept his feet fast and finally paused as he approached the hall. 

He peeked his head through the window and saw that the professor had already begun. 

Dammit, he was awfully late. 

He shook his head and dropped it, walking outside where the sun blared in his face. Collapsing to the ground, Tom sighed. He closed his eyes and wanted to actually take a short nap, although that wasn't entirely possible. 

A few minutes had passed and Tom noticed that the area above him became dark. Smacking his eyes open, Tom focused his eyes on a girl on top of him.

"Are you the Tom Hiddlespuff?" The girl asked, giggling. Tom groaned and lifted himself up. 

"Umm..." He thought and didn't know what to say to the complete stranger. Tom offered his hand. "I'm Tom Hiddleston." Tom reassured and the girl sat on the ground next to him. 

"Well, I'm Chloe." She shook Tom's hand and bit her lip.

"Chloe what? Chloe Curlyson? Mimi?" Tom teased and Chloe laughed. 

"It's Wright, Hiddlespuff!" Chloe cried out and Tom smiled. 

"So, Chloe..." Tom looked around and fiddled with is fingers.

"You're a quiet man who sounded like he ran a marathon about ten minutes ago." Chloe whispered and Tom fell back inhaling and exhaling deeply. 

He couldn't help but want to never get up- yes, he was very tired. 

"I... know..." Tom heaved out. Chloe tilted her head and frowned. 

"Why did you?" 

"I..." Tom leaned on his palms. "... was late for a class." Chloe nodded. 

"Wait... why aren't you in it now?" Tom widened his eyes and Chloe smirked. "Oh, you didn't want to be embarrassed..." She chuckled. "I've done that before, but, I tripped inside, so I had to go in!" 

Tom couldn't help at smile the poor girl. He breathed in and licked his lips, both Chloe and Tom staring at each other...

Now

Caroline glanced at her watch.

"Yep, she's seen him." 

"Oh my god..." Chloe whispered and glided her tongue over her lips. "I..." Tom immediately frowned and took a sip at his drink. 

"You... look, surprised to see me..." He knew something was wrong and so did Chloe. 

She didn't invite Tom, since Chloe thought he had moved on.

Chloe cleared her throat. 

"T-Tom, sorry, excuse me." Chloe picked up her drink and rushed inside back to her friends. Before speaking, she gulped down her whole glass. 

"Whoa lady!" Caroline shouted. 

"What, what!" Chloe lowered her voice. "What is Tom doing here?" Caroline shrugged. "Don't play innocent Caroline McCarthy Smith!" 

"Alright, alright! You got me, I invited him!" She answered and Chloe folded her arms, feeling a little light headed all of a sudden.

"Why?"

"I thought he'd make you happy Chloe! You always were with him around..." Chloe exhaled. 

"I appreciate that, but, please... ask me..." 

"I... I'm sorry...  but, you wanted him right?" Chloe opened her mouth slightly.

"I don't know..." However, that answer wasn't final. Chloe, deep down, knew that she missed Tom over the years. 

It made her that little bit happier.