Alabama Beach House

I picked up the oak stick and snapped it between my fingers. The sun had just begun rising over the tree line and morning frost covered the pale green grass. Winter was starting, and while it doesn't get too cold in Alabama, I still dreaded the ice cold mornings and warm afternoons where you have to take off half the clothes you put on that morning. I walked along the edge of the forest and looked out into the Alabama countryside. Tomorrow was the end of fall break, but we had a short week anyway. I felt my phone buzz as I looked into the rising sun.

"Hello?" I said, answering the phone

"Austin! Hey, it's Clair," the girl said.

"Oh! Hey Clair, you're in my... third period?"

She laughed, "Yes. Sorry it's early, but what's up?"

I felt the color drain from my face as I had to explain what exactly I was doing. I decided with an honestly answer. "Just sitting, watching the sunrise. What about you? what's up?"

"Oh, I- I actually just got back from the grocery store. I had to get some milk," she said stuttering.

I laughed. Then an idea popped into my head. "Hey you live on Willow Dr. right?" I asked

"Yes, why?"

"I'll be there in ten minutes, be ready!" I said quickly, and then I hung up.

****

I pulled into the small dead-end road and drove through. I pulled up beside a large farmhouse and Clair came outside from the house next door. She climbed in my truck and I drove to Lewis Smith lake.

The massive lake house towered over the pitiful looking oak trees as I pulled up. Clair gasped in awe and gazed at the spruce colored house.

"Welcome to Manor De La Ace!" I said as I pulled into the driveway. this house was my family's vacation home for the summer. We climbed out of my truck and I took hint that the weather had warmed since before. The day was still new and the temperature had already risen to over 60 degrees. I unlocked the door and the smell of cinnamon fused with the air. My brother stood in the kitchen making a bowl of cereal.

"Chris, this is Clair. Did mom and dad go home already?" I asked my brother. He nodded and I led Clair to the porch outside that overlooked the lake. She gazed at the view of the still rising sun that colored the lakes reflection to orange-red.

"It's beautiful," she said.

"Yeah, it is," I replied.

She turned to me with a frown on her face. "You're trying to get into my pants." she said abruptly.

My eyes widened and my cheeks warmed up as I felt the color drain. "What? No! I would never-"

She burst out laughing. "I'm just kidding, Austin! This is really sweet showing me this, but jeez, you pretty much just met me!"

I felt the blood flow back to my face and I smiled. "I know, but I...I don't know."

She grinned. "Look, if you wanna get to know me, then some huge beautiful beach house will not work." she said seriously but in a joking voice. Another place popped into my head.

"Alright, I have an idea," I said. we walked back to my truck and I started the engine. We rode from the lake to the nearest fast food joint, which was a Whataburger. Whataburger was the single-most greatest burger joint out there. She smiled as I pulled up and she let out a sigh.

"NOW were talking!" she squealed. we walked in and ordered our food and drinks then sat down. I looked at her as she sipped her drink and noticed her eyes, which were the color of a snowflake. I gasped and she looked up at me.

"You're eyes!" I screamed. She looked at me concerned.

"I know, they're weird." she said

"No, they're beautiful." I said truthfully. She blushed and grinned.

"Thank you, they're actually supposed to be blue but my mom said that something happened to me during birth."

"Well I think they look gorgeous." I said truthfully.

She smiled, and our food was ready. A black woman walked to out table and set down two massive burgers on the table. Clair's eyes widened and her jaw dropped.

"These are HUGE!" she squeaked. I paid the waitress and we both dug into a conversation as well as our burgers.

****

We walked out of the joint with both our stomachs and knowledge of each other completely filled. I drove her back to her house and when she got out, she kissed my cheek.

"I had fun, we should do this again." she said, smiling.

"That would be fun," I agreed. She walked into her house and I drove away completely satisfied with myself. I had liked a lot about her, her eyes, her smile, and her sense of humor. I didn't know how I felt about her and I, since we had indeed only just met, but I felt like she could be something worth while.

****

Hope you liked the 1st chapter!.