thirty-eight

a/n; ok but how did we get 3k+ reads and close to 800 votes like skdjfhaiq you guys are amazing im

+soyou

pulling the heavy glass door open, hot air hit my chilled body as the aroma of freshly baked muffins wafted over to me. i took an eager step in and brushed the snowflakes off my hair as the glass door gently closed behind me. the cafe was relatively empty so it took me no more than a few seconds to spot eunseo's familiar figure.

"boo!" i shouted once i was standing behind her.

a string of curses slipped from her mouth as she jumped in shock. as soon as she saw me, however, a scowl made its way to her face. 

"have you been scared so much that now you're scaring others too?" she lamented while pushing a cup of hot green tea latte towards me. i accepted it gratefully and took a sip, allowing the steaming hot liquid to warm my throat. it was scalding hot, but i embraced the welcoming warmth.

"maybe." i gave a curt reply.

"is everything okay? you sound tired." concern laced her voice. i set the mug down and merely wrapped my hands around the white ceramic, absorbing the warmth.

"when am i not, seo?" 

"... still no news of him?" 

the question that i had been dreading.

"nah. he's probably hiding from me for i don't know what reason." i bit down on my lip and idly swirled the mug, allowing the contents to swish in a circular motion. it was oddly therapeutic. 

i was so caught up in it that i didn't realize eunseo had pulled me into a tight hug. i tried to squirm my way out but all she did was tighten her hold. 

"i'm so sorry, soyou. i'll be here when you need me, always. we're the best of pals, remember? so please don't keep everything to yourself."

those words hit home. it resolved my walls of defense and brought the familiar warm droplets to my eyes. blinking hard, i faced the ceiling and swallowed the sobs back. wrapped my arms around her waist as well and snuggled into the soft cotton of her shirt. inhaled the shea butter scent.

"i'll be alright." i whispered. "don't worry, seo."

a frown in her voice. "you'd better not be lying to me!"

pulling away, i let out a light chuckle. "i'm not, really!" throwing a quick glance to her left, i lowered my volume. "the guy is sitting beside you again. i think he's interested in you."

"wait. the one we encountered the last time we visited this cafe? the one who died because of a road accident?"

"yep, that's him." i nodded. he was still doing the same thing, in fact. gazing out at the streets of seoul with fascination and admiration shining in his eyes. it must have been really horrible to watch people carry out activities that he could never do anymore.

just as i blinked, he was gone. gone from my sight. i frowned and looked around, but he was nowhere to be seen.

this only happened when jeongguk was around. 

standing up in a hurry, my chair was knocked to the ground with a bang but i didn't care. i was vaguely aware of eunseo shouting my name as i pushed the glass door open and ran out into the streets. 

people stared at me— i probably looked really deranged at that moment. but hope was rising all too fast and i could feel my heart beating in anticipation. it was almost painful how desperate i was to see him. 

but he wasn't there. 

and that's when the tears that had pooled in my eyes due to the sudden frustration fell. they trickled down my cheeks at an alarming rate as eunseo gently placed my head against her shoulder. 

what was i hoping for anyway?

maybe it was time to let go.