Prologue

Maybe it was my blank face, or the fact that I didn't scream. I didn't scream what I thought, what I wished and I what I hoped. I don't wear my heart on a sleeve, it's somewhere within me, chained up without a key. A key that was scattered long ago, particles in the wind.

.

.

.

.

.

"Why do you bother?" I asked the black-haired teen named luffy."Why do you try so hard?" I scrunched my face up in confusion before it immediately went blank again.

"Because."He replied his grin blinding me and I couldn't help but look in envy..."You're my nakama and I do everything for them!"...envy that I couldn't have the same thing, something to protect, something to make me happy, something to give me that smile on his face, that beautiful smile...

"Stop being foolish." I hugged myself hoping that feeling would disappear. It only brings regrets from the past. Regrets I'd rather not think about. Regrets I promised, not long ago, to forget, but only appeared in my nightmares once again. Regrets that chained me to my past and yet... "Nakama disappear from your life and they never come back! Sometimes they have to leave ! You're being naive, luffy please stop I-"

"'I'll never give up!' That's what you told me as a child, didn't you?" He gave me a gentle smile and embraced me in a hug, so warm yet...it made me think this feeling was a sin. I couldn't help my eyes that began to moist and I clenched his arms, wrenching them off me.

"That's why I have to leave" I gave him a smile, a small smile. A smile I never thought I'd ever feel on my face again. A smile that made him look at me shocked." That's why I..." I couldn't finish the sentence and felt a cold wave hit my body before I even attempted to. The warmth I tried to remember disappeared and I- I cried. Silent tears running down my face but a knife was digging in my heart.

I love you