Meeting The Predator

Julie's POV.

I reached the end of the hallway, staring at the floor. The week had been so long and the homework had been terribly hard. I heard whispering all around me but I didn't care to listen. I looked up to see Ruby smiling. Her dark brown wavy hair bounced when she walked. Her dark brown eyes were filled with eagerness. Her mocha colored skin glowed in the sunlight. She rushed over to me holding her text books to her chest.

"Hey I just saw Sophie with Adam. I think they're a thing now." Ruby gossiped.

"Oh. Great. Since when did this happen?" I said remembering how Adam had told me that he had feelings for me but we never actually dated.

"Well since now. I guess. How are you feeling?" She asked blinking her eyes at me.

"I'm fine. I just... Im busy and stuff. A lot has happened this week. Homecoming is in a week or so. I still haven't decided what to wear yet." I stammered.

"Well you know I happen to be a fashion stylist. I can help you decide what to wear." Ruby said.

"Sure, yeah. That'd be great!" I replied, "Wait don't you have an art project due tomorrow?"

"Don't worry. I can finish it, besides it's not like I've been late on art before." She assured me with a smile.

"All right, let's go. I don't want to stay another minute in this place." I said walking away from the dreaded school.

As we headed out the door a breeze brushed by us. It was early autumn and the the trees were turning colors. The streets were almost empty because we waited so long to leave. We headed toward the car which my brother, Jay, was waiting for us. He smiled at Ruby and turned to the road. The car was filled with a colon smell that my brother always wore. He started the car and started to drive down the dusty, boring, old road. Salem was small cold town, with only a few school and smaller amount of stores you could look through.

The place seemed almost lifeless, almost as if everyone had left the town and the buildings were abandoned. Jay turned the radio on and the weather man talked about the storm, coming our way. Jay turned it louder. A thunderstorm I thought, just what I needed to make this day even better, I thought sarcastically. We passed by old buildings that were actually abandoned and some people told stories about the ghosts that haunted the place. Jay didn't believe in those stories but I wondered about it.

"So... did you guys see Adam and Sophie today?" Jay asked breaking the silence between us.

"Yeah. Some crazy stuff, like, why don't they just date already?" Ruby said dramatically.

"Ruby." Jay said firmly and turning over to see my reaction.

"Sorry, I didn't mean it that way Julie." Ruby apologized.

I starred at the road, not turning my face. I whispered, "It's okay. I didn't feel the same way for him and it's not like we dated or anything."

"No. I mean it, I've been so dramatic lately." Ruby admitted, she had been but I couldn't let her say that about herself.

"It's all right Ruby, we're here now. Let's worry about this later." I said looking at my house. I didn't want to talk about this in front of Jay, especially now.

"Yeah. Your right, let's go!" Jay laughed shutting the car off and getting out.

Pulling myself out of the car, I scanned the sky looking for the sun. All I could see were clouds, they filled the sky, not leaving any space for the sun to shine through. I smiled at Ruby and headed for the door. Jay unlocked the door for us and held the door open. I saw Ruby smile at Jay the way you would when you're flirting.