Chapter 1: Then

Hannah

"Come on, please?" my friend, Kenzie, begged, giving my puppy eyes.

Kenzie was currently trying to bribe me into going to some lame party one of our classmates was throwing. At a bar, in downtown LA. Which, I'll admit, is only about 10 minutes away, but still.

"Kenzie, please just shut up!" I said to her, trying to quiet her down. She has been begging me for the last 15 minutes. I have no clue how I survive her every day.

"But please? You do know that Ash Michaels is going to be there, right?" she asked.

"Of course he is," I muttered to myself. Kenzie has been obsessing over Ash since we were in the eighth grade. And she has spent all that time 'watching from afar,' as she puts it.

But now that we're seniors, she says that she's ready to make her move. Never mind that we're already halfway done with the first quarter. Normally she jumps right into relationships. Or into some guys pants. But she really did like Ash. So, being the sucker I am, a gave in.

"Fine, I'll go," I said, already regretting my decision. Kenzie squealed, jumping off my bed, a gave me a bear hug.

"THANK YOU!!!!! I love you soooo much right now Hannah. Like, really, I do." she said, already putting on her makeup.

"Yeah, whatever," I muttered. I threw on some black skinny jeans, a loose-fitting Nirvana tee, and my off white converse.

"Okay, we gotta go, like right now,"Kenzie said, grabbing her coat, keys, and purse. "Oh, and we're taking my car. do something with your hair and be out in five, kay?"

I went over to my mirror, looking at my wavy light brown hair. I brushed it, not bothering to even put it up, like I normally would. Kenzie was always telling my how beautiful and gorgeous I was. With my hair, my always naturally tan skin- which is perfectly tanned, not to dark or light- and my grey-green eyes, I admit I do look somewhat pretty.

I heard an inpatient honk come from the driveway. She always has to be early, even though the party doesn't start for half an hour. I sighed, grabbing my bag and slipping on my black jacket.

As I walked towards the door, I noticed the TV was on. So my brother was actually home early. I peeked around the corner, looking at Derek sitting on the couch, his feet perched on the coffee table. he would've been in deep shit of our parents were home. Which, luckily, the weren't. Which was why I was going to this party.

"Hey, I'm going over to that party. I'll be home tomorrow, kay?" I told him. He tilted his head toward me, and I could see that he was taking advantage of our parents being gone. His face looked brighter and happier than normal. But that also could've been from the flask he had in his hand.

"Oh, Jake's party? Cool. You should get out more anyway, so that's fine with me," he replied easily. Oh, so that's why Kenzie wanted to be there early. Jake and Ash did everything together, so Ash would definitely be there early.

"Kay, thanks, bye, love you Derek!!!" I said, sprinting out the door. I hopped into Kenzie's already warm black Volvo. Before I'd even closed the door, she was on the street.

"Woooo!! It's partay time babayyy!!" Kenzie said with a grin on her face. And I was actually excited about going to this party. Maybe it would be fun.

Well, you'll just have to wait and see Hannah. Wait and see.