prologue: Ashes to Ashes

(Adonis Fenix POV)

                                                                         (Adonis Fenix POV)

                                                                   (Natal Brasil, October 1200)

"You and them," The murmur slipped from my lips,"you've taken away all I held dear". Tears spilled from my eyes as my mind attempted to repress dreadful memories. I looked down and saw the face of a traitor. My eyes darted towards the throne as I took a dignified stance beside the high priest.

"Before we return King Xander Fenix to the father, I am bound by my duties to enact the King's final wishes" The priest flashed a scroll sealed with the royal sigil from out of his sleeve and began to recite it,  My body began to tremble as the high priest unrolled the parchment. Hopefully, the odd penmanship will not be too noticeable.

"My time is near, soon I will breathe my last breath, and join my forefathers, and I know I have sinned, I have taken married women and fathered bastard sons... highborn ladies and commoners alike, but I want it to be known,  throughout all of the South American kingdom, that I proclaim my trueborn daughter Adonis of House Fenix the one true heir to the throne." My eyes fixated on the High Priest who seemed contented. I sighed a breath of relief.   

 The High Priest gestured for me to sit as I downed a chalice of wine and refilled my glass, the priest looked at me with obvious distaste. Sinking into the throne, my eyes surveyed the crowd. I saw the powerful phoenix of House Fenix, the scheming serpent of House Valeryrion, the spineless scorpion of House Silurian, and the bastard harpy of House Erin, along with their vassals and other minor nobility beneath my concern. The High Priest then handed me the book of the Father so as to perform my oath.

"In front of all the people of this land, the commoners, and the proud nobles, the Father, the Son, and the Warrior do you accept your duties as queen?" The priest asked

"I accept in the eyes of the Father, the Mother, the crone, as well as our lords and ladies." The words began to slur.

"Do you, Adonis Fenix solemnly promise to govern the South American kingdom in accordance with its laws and customs" The High Priest glared into my eyes, almost as to invoke a sense of shame.

"I solemnly promise" My words were almost unintelligible as the drunken slur words

"Will you to your power cause Law and Justice, in Mercy, to be executed in all your judgments? Will you to the utmost of your power maintain the Laws of the Gods and the true profession of the Gospel? Will you to the utmost of your power maintain in the South American Kingdom the Faith of the holy trin..." My mind began to wander deep into my thoughts as the High Priest continued with the oaths. 

"I have rid myself of this thorn, and I have coveted my uncle's crown, which is what I have long wished for, but the price I had to pay... We came into this world together, he shared my face. Our love was destined from the moment we met in the womb. He was mine and I was his,  but we were separated by a traitor, and lying hypocrites. It is the death of a lover I mourn this day, not my father. The loss of his touch, his presence, his love." More tears began to run frun from my eyes as memories of my beloved flooded my mind. The High Priest Finally finished his speech, the old pompous fool seemed to be gasping for breath.

" All this I promise to do,  I have promised and all the things  I will perform and keep so help me Father" My speech became so distorted and cryptic. Searing looks of disdain shot in my direction. Feeling ashamed, I poured myself another glass of wine an buried my face in the glass.

" So it is said, so it shall be upheld to your  final breath" The High Priest sighed a breath of disappointment and beckoned me forward, while descending from the throne, a misplaced step caused me to stumble and fall. The priest extended his arm to help me. The crowd ruptured into laughter. I knelt and received my Crown and Sceptre. My eyes searched the crowd within the walls of my palace, my eyes drifted towards my family, pleading for sympathy, only to be met with shame. I looked to the other families, only to be met by envious eyes. The weeds will be rooted before they strangle me in my sleep. 

"Behold your queen! As seen by the eyes of the gods!" The High Priest exclaimed

"Long may she reign" The crowd eerily chanted in return.