Cherry Blossom Tree

I was once asked to describe a Cherry Blossom tree. I didn't understand it at the time, like I do now. The person who asked me could barely see. They knew what the world look liked once upon a time. The person asking was my great grandma. Over time she lost her sight. She knew the colors of the world and what shapes were. She even knew what a Cherry Blossom tree should look like. Yet she wanted to hear me describe it. I looked out at the old Cherry Blossom tree in the background. Thinking of how I could describe such a beautiful tree. I finally began to describe it.

"Well, the tree is tall, like a big brick building, like your home." She shook her head and asked for me to describe the bark of the tree. Looking at the ground and at the bottom of the tree. I began my description. "The roots are grabbing at the dirt, like a newborn child would grab a mothers finger with its little hand. The roots connect to the trunk. The trunk is wide and uneven, like two large men huddled together talking. The color of the trunk is brown. Brown is a color that feels stable and manly. There are some knots in the trunk. The knots look like the knuckles on your hand. Very small but noticeably. The bark on the trunk is rough and crumbly like the apple pies you use to make." She chuckled and urged me to continue. "The trunk branches out, like the strings to a spider web. The branches branch out to smaller branches. Instead of green leaves on the tree. Green feels very much alive and like spring. There is pink flowers. Not just one pink but many variations of pink. Pink feels like warmth and happiness. It is a very relaxing color. Sometimes the feeling is welcoming and very pleasurable. On the little flowers on the tree there is some white. White feels pure and clean. The tree all together is beautiful, like you are."

"You described the tree beautifully. You know that each flower on the tree has its own unique properties. I wish I could see them again. Being old and unable to see makes you feel useless."

"Great Grandma, you are not useless. You tell amazing stories like how Great Grandpa asked you to marry him under the old Cherry Blossom tree. And all the stories of you growing up. You are great at story telling. When you tell stories, it is almost like I can see it with my own eyes."

"I'm glad I passed on that trait to your grandma, and that you have the gift to explain things that I can't see." I watched as a Cherry Blossom fell to the ground.

"I'll be right back." I went out the door and picked up the fallen Cheery Blossom. I took it back inside and placed it in my great grandma's hands. She touched it and smiled.

"Thank you dear child."

i