Part 1

Part 1

TRIS

Caleb and I are running and running. The weapons lab is the only option. It's the only way we will save this place. There is no other choice.

"Tris," Caleb pants as he runs, "I'm scared."

I gulp, because although he delivered me to my execution, he helped Jeanine Matthews almost kill me, he was still my brother. He was still the boy from Abnegation that chastised me at the table and helped me be selfless if I couldn't on my own. I loved him. And I can't let him die.

I stop running. "Caleb, let me do it. I have a better chance of surviving the death serum. I can do this."

He shakes his head. "Tris. I won't let you die."

I smile. "I won't. I'm Divergent." I wink. Caleb still looks uncertain so I add, "I'm doing it whether you want me to or not. It will just be a lot easier to hand me the explosives."

Caleb looks down and hands me the backpack full of the dynamite ready to open the doors to the Weapons Lab.

I look at Caleb, the brother I've always loved, no matter what. "Stall them."

Caleb nods. I'm about to take off, but he grabs my arm. "Tris, I'm so sorry. I love you."

I know. I know he's sorry. And that is why I'm choosing to forgive him and take his place in the Weapons Lab. "I know. If you see Tobias, tell him I will see him later."

Caleb nods and says nothing else. I run in the other way and don't look back. However, when I stop in front of the door that could possibly kill me, I whisper back to my brother, "I love you too."

I set up the explosives and run for cover. The noise is deafening, horrible, awful. I cover my ears but the ringing is still there. I shake my head and enter through the door.

•••

The serum is strong. I feel weak. What's the point? Do I really need to survive? Is this experiment really so bad?

I could just lie here forever, but no. No. Because of Caleb. Because of Tobias. Because of Christina. Because of Cara. Because of Will and my mom and my dad and Fernando and Uriah and Lynn and Tori and everyone who died in that horrible enclosure of factions. I have to succeed for them. They didn’t die for nothing. I can’t die now. I will survive. I will release the memory serum into the compound.

I run through the next set of doors and I can breathe again. I feel the drowsiness wearing off, the feeling of defeat and hopelessness leaving my body. My limbs are no longer stiff from the death serum. My lungs are no longer weak. I feel strong, for what seems like the first time in a while.

The room is filled with drawers and buttons and computer screens. I look around and spot the button. I'm about to step toward it when I hear a cough coming from the corner. I look over and see that face looking at me. That face I thought I could trust until now. That face was now pointing a gun toward me.

There was a time, a long time ago, when a friendly face turned on me and tried to kill me. He snuck up on me, grabbed me, tried to throw me over the wall of the chasm that drew the line between bravery and idiocy. I trusted him and he tried to kill me. He’s dead now. I’ve forgiven him. I’ve moved on.

But looking at the face of my new friend, someone who stuck by me in this terrible compound, the one that helped me with this plan, the one person I thought I knew I could trust.

I looked into the eyes of Matthew, eyes filled with a terrible hate.

•••

I shrug. "Well that's a shock. I actually didn't see that one coming. Props to you, Matt." I lifted my hands into a clap, hitting them together slowly and sarcastically.