Ruby

As I was sitting outside in a field making flower crowns with Ruby, I'm just there. Sitting in the grass and admiring the near fields, blanketed in lavender. I'm just simply there. Existing. We say nothing because there's nothing to be said. Well, actually there is an infinite amount of things to say. But we just decided it wasn't worth it. Enough was right there in front of us. I could say how delicate and beautiful each individual petal was of every single flower in the blanketed field. I could say how I've been waiting for this for weeks. How I've been waiting all this week for her to walk my way and sit next to my lonesome self and just that. But that isn't really necessary, because I know she knows. I can tell by just her aura and simply by what she wears and the way her hair blows in the breeze and how her grey eyes reflect the sunlight that she knows. She knows more than anyone will give her credit for.

After Ruby finished her full flower crown she put it on my head and said, "I haven't seen you in a while ty ty." She knows better than to ask how I've been. But she does with her eyes.

"Don't worry sis. I'm doing better, I think. Everything is just a bit more red but I think I can deal with it."

Then we sat and embraced for a while because she knew that's what I wanted. It's what she wanted. She knew I didn't want comforting lectures of "you're going to be fine" and "It will all be okay." A lot of people say things like that. They think it means something and they think it will help but it actually insults with each word. I know they mean well. But no one is ever "fine." No one is ever going to be "okay" at the pace the world is going. I guess it's nice that all they know is all they know because when you think too much and when you know too much it's not always good.

"But don't worry about me," I say. "With your great arrival that shade has turned a bit more pink. It'll last for a while so don't worry."

Then she began to cry a little bit and hugged me tighter.

"Now now don't cry. You know you're special, you are. Not many people I know can make someone feel pink like you do."

She laughs through her tears. "Hush now, Tyler. I'm the one supposed to tell you these things."

"No," I chuckle. "You don't need to do that."

"Yes I do," she laughs as she pulls away. I can't help but smile and place my flower crown onto her head.

***

At dusk we find ourselves wading through the tall grass and just simply talking. Not really. I think chatting would be a better word. Talking is when you talk about the world or your thoughts and what they mean. Chatting are just little conversations about little things that don't really matter. As she takes my hand and leads me through the sea of lavender I feel tired. I guess lavender does that so we just sit for a while and stare at the clouds and begin drifting off to the promised land. The last thing I see before I fall into my dreams are Ruby's eyes. They've helped me a lot. When I'd wake up late at night panting from a bad dream that I thought was still happening, that I though I hadn't left yet, she was there. Her eyes were there. They were like a tether from dreamland to the present. After I realized that she was the one who did that, she was the only one. Not mom, not dad. I guess you could call her queen. They're so grey, but they're a piercing grey. Not like a cloudy day but like a lightning strike in a beautiful evening storm. C-major. Ruby.

"Shada de da dum."

***

Ever since I was young, I was able to lucid dream. That's how I could control my dreams, and know I was in one. But eventually, I lost control but was still able to know that I was in fact dreaming. Sometimes they were my reality. I'm a little better with it now, but sometimes that still happens. Ever since I've been home it has barely happened so you can imagine there was no chance of anything bad happening in this dream. Nothing bad can happen in this environment of a bed of lavender with Ruby and her grey eyes right next to me.