Prologue

Disclaimer: I do not Tekken or its characters.  

Enjoy the story!

**********

Prologue

He's in the forest again.

His left cheek is numb from the biting cold, and slowly, he lifts his face from the snow. As he starts to raise himself more, his arm gives way underneath. He rolls on his back and winces as more skin makes contact with the ice. His eyes open, but it is too quick a gesture. He shuts them close again as the world is too bright. How long had he been sleeping this time?

He tries again, slowly this time, but soon enough, he can register the gray sky above him clearly. Fresh snow descends into the gradient as bright sky transitions to the dim forest. The bark is black on all trees. The few leaves that are left take on a christening silver.

The freezing pain throbs through his body again, from his neck to his feet. That enough told him that he was naked once more.

A dull crunch is heard on the snow. Light and deft, yet it is enough to alert the young man. The adrenaline numbs the frostbite, and Jin's head whips up. He manages to lift himself completely, but his legs sink into the white.

The young deer looks back at him.

Its peers accompany it at staring down this familiar stranger in stillness and silence.

A new chill starts to rise in Jin's spine, but before he wonders why the deer take off in a dead sprint. Nevermind the depth of the snow as they scatter through the bare, black trees. Their mute-brown fur dissolves into gray as they distance themselves.

A growl is heard from behind.

Slowly and painfully, he turns to it.

Jin's mother, Jun, had always taught Jin about wolves. As beautiful as they are, they must never be provoked. The forest is, and will always be theirs.

"We can survive them," she says. "If your heart is calm for them, they will, in turn, be gentle to you. You're always calm, aren't you love?"

Jin's body is knee-deep in burning snow, bare to everything. One look at those gnarled teeth beneath those saturated gums and "calm" is the last thing he can think of.

He's felt pain before. He's known fear so deep that it grips to the bone because he's delivered it. He has fought so many powerful foes, few of them effortlessly.

He can fight, he repeats in his head. He can fight.

But for the life of him, he can't move.

It doesn't matter how she managed to sneak upon him. He is in her territory.

Her white fur is shockingly brighter than the snow itself. Her silver eyes are piercing. The grace of her stature is contrasted by the red-pink of her gums as she continues to growl. She is poised, ready to pounce at any moment. And Jin can't move.

Perhaps...this is what his victims looked like when the bombs dropped.

His numb, terrified face remains on hers, and she bows before lunging at him, mouth open.

Perhaps he had gone too numb to feel the infliction of her deadly grip once again.

**********

Already working on the next chapter, so bear with me! And yes, "Cherry" is going on hiatus (although it already was and I hadn't said it officially until now).  I originally have this story published on Fanfiction.net, but I wanted to share it here as well, if that's alright with you all.