O n e | L i s a

February 10, 2016

   I looked at the large house in front of me, sure it was larger than our previous house. But this house would never be our real home.

Lena and I walked inside, looking around, we saw the kitchen, living room, main hall, bathrooms, the backyard that contained a pool and hot tub, and the dining room.

But what we really wanted to see was our new bedroom, a large, spacious room. I can't lie, it was really nice, but I wanted to be back in Germany nevertheless.

~•~

Once everything had been moved in, our parents began listing off the news that they hadn't told us before we arrived.

New School, that was expected, but it still struck me hard, I didn't really want to go to a new school.

I remember that was the most significant thing, I had stopped paying attention after that was said.

We'd have to make new friends, but not just that. New everything.

~•~

We arrived at Rosewood High, our new school.  We got there a bit later than I had hoped, but it was fine.

Some people ignored us, some stared at us, no one talked to us.

Suddenly a set of two identical twin girls approached us. They seemed a year older than us.

"Who are you?" One of them asked, but their tone was edged with sarcasm.

"I'm Lena, and that's my sister Lisa." Lena said cheerfully.

"Dear lord! You need to learn English!" The other one said.

"But we did learn English!" I said indignantly.

"What, I don't understand?" One of them mocked.

"We know you can! It's just an accent. I know we got off on the wrong foot, but we can maybe have lunch together and be friends?" Lena said, acting unaffected.

"Haha, how about no?" They turned and strolled off, whipping their hair in our faces.

We sighed and walked to our classes, the bell had already rang and people were getting into their seats.

"Class, we have new students." She beckoned us forward, "Now tell us a bit about yourself."

"Well, I'm Lisa, this is my twin sister Lena. We're from Stuttgart, Germany." I said.

Lena nodded in agreement.

"Okay, why don't you, Lisa, take a seat by Kendra." She pointed to one of the twins we saw earlier and my shoulders slumped.

"And Lena, you can sit my Alec." She then pointed to a boy with dark hair and dark eyes.

We both made our way to our seats.

"Oh, and I'm Mrs. Clarke." She said hurriedly and began teaching.

The boy sitting in front of me winked at me, "You're so hot, and so is your accent."