Hero's Tale

A Hero's Tale

The sky was cloudless black exposing the brilliant shine of each individual star like diamonds that had been tossed into the air and became stuck in the sea of night sky. On that night, the moon was round and full with light as it glowed peculiarly bright upon a small house nestled snugly in a neighbourhood of other homes just like itself. Only this one was a bit different, looking down the street of the neighbourhood, you would see all the lights turned off inside the homes signalling that the occupants inside were sleeping comfortably in their beds on this clear, cool night. The only house lights that could be seen belonged to the house lit up by the full moon in the diamond sea night sky.

Inside the house and into the dull lit room was a girl. Her room was tidy enough with a desk, vanity, dresser and stereo all comfortably fit into her small bedroom. The lamp by her bedside washed the room with its dull light as the girl sat curled up on the bed clutching a single picture to her chest while tears streamed down her young face. She could have been no more than sixteen. The rest of the house was silent; her parents asleep in their room at the other end of the room house while her heart slowly cracked to become shattered into thousands of pieces. She wished for anyone to hear her cries, but, well, that wasn't true now was it? She only wanted one person to mend her aching heart.

The door to her bedroom creaked open; her bedroom light barely being able to light up the figure in her doorway. A man around the age of 25 stood silently as he watched the girl rock back and forth trying to hide her sobs. He was unsure whether the girl would even want to see him after what happened between them a couple of days ago. He didn't want to upset her further because of his presence. Finally, she lifted her brown eyes to meet the soft, caramel ones of the man. He relaxed when a small smile graced her lips. He stepped forward, closing the door behind him before sitting along the edge of her bed and pulling her close to him. Her tears were still fresh down her cheeks, but her sobs had quieted. The picture she still clutched tightly to her shaking torso.

"Mason, will you tell me a story?" She quietly asked keeping her eyes away from his so he wouldn't see how ashamed she was to ask such a question at her age. She'd been having awful nightmares for the past couple nights and he was the only one that could make them disappear.

The man, Mason, chuckled at the girl. "What would you have me tell you? A fairy tale?" he teased lightly. He didn't want the girl to cry anymore. He hated seeing those large brown eyes wet with sadness and fear.

"Tell me the story," she quietly pleaded. Her body has creased shaking and her sobs were no more. Even the tears that had fallen like rain down her face came to a halt.

Mason's face grew solemn. "Its such a sad story though. Are you sure you want to hear it? After all, it might not help your situation."

"Its fine," the girl reassured confidently. "As long as you stay beside me until I fall asleep again."

Mason nodded assuring her that he would so that her nightmares wouldn't return even though he knew that, most likely, they would revisit her the next night.

"Once upon a time...." he began with a smile causing the girl to playfully nudge him in the side with her elbow. Mason chuckled holding the girl closer to him as he continued on with the story she had begged to hear. It was the only story she wanted to listen to for the past couple of nights, but he understood why.

"Once upon a time there was a girl...."

Once upon a time there was a girl.. she was around your age, with beautiful brown eyes and a smile that could light up the midnight sky. She was a kind person with a gentle soul; the type of person who couldn't imagine hurting a fly even is it was buzzing annoyingly around her in her face. She was loved by her family seeing as she was the youngest having only an older brother. A brother she was extremely proud of for he was serving their country; protecting their freedom. Although the girl worried he wouldn't return home one day. She remained confident in her brother that he'd come back home to her again so she could see his face once more.