We Meet Again

first person P.O.V. past tense

-

I blew thin layers of dust off of the hard-covered novel, resisting the urge to sneeze as the tiny particles flew into my nostrils. I pursed my lips while digging the book into my side, as if it were a child trying to break lose from my grasp. I glimpsed at the other books stacked on the wooden shelf, gagging as I had inhaled even more dust. There were a lot of well written books in the stacks, from Lord of the Rings to Harry Potter. Though I chose not to pick neither up, considering I had read both books way too many times, and it was time to try something new. I moved the book I had picked up to my stomach, wrapping my arms around it to make sure it didn't slip out. I nipped to the nearest table, plopping down into the green stained chair, next to someone whose face was buried into their book.

The aroma of flower-based perfume consumed my nose as I placed my book on the table. Blinking at the stranger sitting next to me, I reached my hand out and lightly tapped them on the shoulder. 

"Excuse me, but what are you wearing? It smells delightful!" I said, putting on a small smile.

The stranger's body perked up as they lowered their book, revealing their deep blue eyes.

"Susan?!" The stranger whispered, their eyebrows arching.

I tilt my head to the side. "How do you know my name? Have we met before?"

The stranger lowered the book all the way, revealing their face. It was none other than Karen, the girl I had despised since the 3rd grade.

"No way!" I yelled, which caused me getting a bunch of hushes in response.

"Why are you here?" I felt my face heat up, and I imagined my cheeks were redder than Clifford's fur.

'Why are YOU here?" She spat.

"Because I actually learned how to read in 3rd grade and enjoy doing it."

"I'd beg to differ, considering you got held back."

I clenched my fist. "Look--"

"No, no need to say anything, I was just leaving anyways. She threw her book into her messenger bag and slung it over her shoulder, jumping up and pushing the chair into the table. While rushing past me she whispered, 

"Don't tell anyone you saw me here."

And with that, she pushed the door open, lurching out.

-

"el oh el"

^ u get the joke i know u get the joke