Prologue

Desiree's POV

A screeching sound came as I stepped on my brakes and parked my Strada truck at the furthest of the parking lot. My brown hair in a ponytail. Check. A sigh escaped my lips before I unbuckled my seatbelt and finally got out. I checked my appearance first before walking out of the underground parking: patterned black tank top, gray skinny jeans, black ankle boots and leather jacket.

Once satisfied, I made my way to the third elevator of the mall. It was the usual, it had the caution tape surround the entrance. First, I look around, just to be sure no one would see me. False alarm. There was a couple about to go inside the second elevator. My acting skills triggered when they eyed me suspiciously, I mean I would to, if I saw someone about to go in a broken elevator, that is if I wasn't one of them. I pouted my lips looking at the reflection of the elevator door, as if I'm checking my make up, I brushed my little finger across my lower lip, almost smudging my red lipstick. It made me seem that I was completely oblivious of their presence that I was too caught up in perfecting my make up.

"Excuse me miss, but are you riding?" The girl spoke to tapping my shoulder

I turned my head and made a surprised expression "No, I uh, I'm waiting for my boyfriend, you can go ahead"

A silently cheered when they nodded and got inside the elevator. I let out a deep breath of relief as I stepped on the black mattress that was surrounded by poles that prevented non-spies to get in. A flash of red ray ran across my body, head to toe then the elevator door opened. I got inside and quickly pressed the button that made me go down.

"Welcome to the Spies of Malcolm Society, What is your identification code?" The robot at the top of the door spoke, indicating I reached the floor I was in

"13246 Wilson Desiree" I said. A beep emerged and the door opened.

The familiar sight of an office full of people greeted my eyes. There were people on there computers, some were testing gadgets on the laboratory.

"Desiree!" A familiar voice called out, it was my best friend Lesley, she wasn't a spy like me, she was a tracker, her main job was to keep track of ones spy mission.

"Les!" I greeted as she hugged me "what's up?"

"What is up is that three months of you not doing any crimes had all the newbies clawing to get the new job" she exclaimed softly elbowing my arm

Yes, I miss doing investigations and being a spy. I stopped for three months and haven't been showing up here. The reason was that I received news from the NYC Health Department that my biological mother, whom I never met and never intended to, died, I didn't even cared to read the apology letter they sent, which means that I don't know why she died, much less, I really don't care. My father, who was a huge dick left me and my brother, Derek, to my uncle Ryan , who owns this spy society, but later went missing which adds one reason why I stopped doing these gigs for a while my mother's last name was Malcolm before dad changed it. The real crap about this was the new boss, Thomas Malcolm, I don't trust him, he's the younger brother of Ryan and looks inexperienced. But my love for being a spy is more than my doubts on Thomas thats why I came back. Now, I've gotten over the sadness and grief of my loss, I'm ready to do another crime investigation.

"I know" I said with a small chuckle "Hey, where's Derek?"

"Finland, investigating who put the poison on the new Dutch and Duchess wedding cake that killed the woman"

"And he didn't even call me" I whispered to myself

Of course, expected from my brother. Since we lived on our own, he moved on his life, not looking back to his little sister. Talk about starting over.