Chapter One

*ONE WEEK EARLIER*

Juliet

~*~*~*~*~

I was sitting in History. Mr. Wayne, the boring-est teacher you will ever meet was going on and on and on about the ancient Egyptians and blah, blah, blah. Why do they fill our brains with this useless information, anyway? I honestly do not give a rat's butt about how the Egyptians built their stuff. Technology's come a long way, I got it...I also don't care.

Sitting next to me was Cody Phillips. He's an artist and I always have him drawing me cute little pictures. Today he was drawing me a rose. A very detailed rose. I smiled.

"It's adorable," I said leaning into him. He nodded.

As the bell rang, I gathered my books and took the picture from his hand as I said thanks. Next was finally eighth period. Which for me was AP Honors English. I've been taking honors classes since sixth grade and I've never enjoyed them but they get me credits faster and with any luck, I'll be able to graduate early.

I exited History and turned left down the hall. English was my best subject, but least favorite period. One of the main reasons I hated English was because Audrey Brookes was in that class. She couldn't stand me and I, her.

We had what you could call a falling out a couple years back but that's not important anymore.

I could feel somebody link their arm through mine and I turned to the side to see Ashlyn Morgans.

"Hey," I said.

She smiled. "You will never believe who I just ran into!" She squealed.

"Who?"

"Keifer!"

I rolled my eyes. I've been hearing about him for over two years from her. As annoying as her ramblings on him get, truth be told, I feel sorry for the girl. He's never showed any interest in her, but only for some other girl. I'd hate to see her get screwed over by this jerk who's never even given her the time of day. Not only that but, I mean, the girl's totally delusional! She the type of girl who would eat up any lie any guy told her. Plus, she takes small things a bit too seriously.

I pretended to be excited anyway. "That's cool."

She nodded her head violently as her black curls whipped around her. "Uh-huh,"

She was really pretty. Most guys would kill to be with her. In fact, most guys want to kill Keifer because she was in love with him.

"Just please be careful," I warned, "I don't want you to get hurt."

"I know, I know. I won't. I mean, we're not even dating."

"But you want to be, don't you?" I waggled my eyebrows. She nodded as she looked down to study her shoes.

Together we walked into English as Mrs. Grainger greeted us smiling.

Ashlyn

~*~*~*~*~

I slid into my seat for eighth period. Juliet sat behind me. I don't understand why she can't trust me with Keifer. Okay, so maybe I should've told her that he kind of asked me to dinner tonight but I couldn't risk her getting mad at me and I really wasn't in the mood for her lecture about being careful.

I turned around to face her. She was studying a beautiful sketch of a rose.

"Did you have Cody draw that for you?" I whispered as Mrs. Grainger was going on about our six-page essay assignment.