Brown Eyes

It was during summer, when she caught my eye. I was taking my daily stroll on the streets when I saw her enjoying the sun and taking pictures with her camera. I can confidently say that she really loves what she's doing, because she had this smile on her face that was really priceless. Looking at her, smiling like that made me smile too.

It was now or never, so I decided to approach her. She smiled at me just as kindly as she would smile at the birds. It really made me happy, and her eyes surprised me. It was the shade of gray which is quite rare. she fascinated me through and through.

She had her own world which she gladly shared with me, and I gladly welcomed myself. Her world was pure, like no bad things could ever penetrate it. Whenever she would snap her camera, she would get lost in her own world. It really made me happy seeing her like that...enjoying herself just like an innocent child.

I couldn't help but fall for her and so I confessed. She gave me a smile that was accompanied with tears, she quickly wiped them away. She told me that se can't accept my offer, and that she would rather have me by her side as her friend. She wouldn't tell me her reason, and all I could do was respect her decision.

I avoided her for three consecutive days, but I couln't take it anymore. I was missing her so bad even if it was just a short time. I ended up wandering at the same place where I first saw her, and she was there. While I was walking towards her, I was having a constant battle with myself to just forget about my feelings for her, so that I could continue to be by her side.

She was looking at my direction, so I smiled and held back my tears. Why can't this amazing creature can't be mine?

As soon as I was in front of her, she looked shocked as if someone surprised her. She told me that I scared her by sneaking up on her. It confused me, because I could've sworn that she was looking my way just a while ago. Maybe, she got lost in her own world once more. 

A week had passed and I was not able to meet her. She wasn't where I first met her, and so I called her. She told me to meet her at the coffee shop near the street where we first met. When I saw her, somehow her eyes looked empty. It was not filled with the joy I usually see in her eyes.

While we were talking inside the coffee shop, she dropped her teaspoon. I was about to duck and get it myself, but she beat me to it. But for some reason, it took her a little bit longer than it should. So I bent my head to see if she was having trouble finding the spoon. It surprised me to see her tapping the floor just to find the spoon, when it's just right in front of her.

I quietly pushed the spoon towards her hands. When she thought she found it on her own, she quickly sat up and smiled at me. I waved my hands in front of her face but she didn't even budge. And that's when it hit me. She can barely see anything!!!

I asked her for the truth and that's when she teared up. She's legally blind, and it's only a matter of time before she becomes totally blind. The truth was too harsh for me, and so I run out of the shop. Why? Why did it have to be her? She didn't do anything wrong! Why take away something that is really precious for her?!

And then, there was a loud crash. It shocked me, so I ran to the scene. Only to see her lying on the street...bloody. I cried and asked for help. She was still concious,and that's when she gathered all her strength to touch my face and trace it. And that's when she told me that I am handsome.

When she was rushed to the hospital and undergoing a surgery because of the crash, I took the opportunity to think things through.

I made up my mind. I took a picture of her from her camera and tucked it safely in my pocket, and took a picture of mine also for her to remember me by.

I signed myself as her eye donor and was ready for the surgery. But before they could take away my sight, I took one finla glance at her and tried to remember every detail of her.

The surgery was done as soon as possible. During the surgery and the recovery process, I held her picture in my hands. And as soon as I was well enough, I left the hospital before she could even see me like this. I can't let her remember me this way. I want her to remember me as her good friend who had once shared her world.

. . . . . . . . . . . . 

After a year, I found myself wandering the streets once more, but now I'm with Buster my guide dog.

Buster went a little crazy so I ended up bumping into someone and I felt her picture left my hands. I kneeled down on the floor just to search for it. The girl who bumped into me gave me back her picture. And then she asked me to eat with her on a coffee shop. It was rude to refuse a lady, and so I went with her.

It all seemed nostalgic.

While we were sitting there, I could hear someone sobbing. And the sobs were coming from the person right in front of me...from the girl who bumped into me.

"Uh, why areyou crying lady?" I asked the person in front of me. I heard her chuckle. "Thank you for the eyes, my good friend," I heard her say.

In my mind's eye, I could see her smile once more. The smile which is full of happiness and innocence. Th smile that I adored the most. I could picture her smiling with her new set of eyes...my brown eyes.