I Am a Cat

A/N: On occasion, I have dumb ideas. This was a dumb idea. If you like dumb ideas that involve love squares that won't stay out of your brain, then enjoy. 

Disclaimer: Nope, I do not own Miraculous Ladybug. If I did...I wouldn't know what to do with myself. 

"I Am a Cat"

Black cats have always been regarded as being unlucky. This is pretty much true. I am officially unlucky.

In normal life, I'm not actually a black cat, but in the torturous double life I lead, my alter-ego is the black-cat-themed superhero, Cat Noir. And he's very unlucky. Thus, by default, so am I.

I have lost the love of my life so many times I can't even count. I don't mean it literally; she's not dead. She just rejects me constantly and I don't even know who she is. Both are travesties getting in the way of a romantic partnership between the two of us. But it is an unspoken rule between us – I can never know who she is, and she can never know who I am.

"Oh no, you'll never know. My love for you can only grow." I sang aloud, wishing I could say these words to Ladybug herself. It didn't matter whether I said them as Adrien or Cat Noir, I just wanted her to know them. 

I might not have wanted to do this at the moment, but I've been tasked with writing a theme song for Ladybug and Cat Noir. Well, me and Marinette.

Mari is a girl in my class at the College Francoise Dupont, here in central Paris. She's one of my good friends, although I'm definitely closer to Nino, who's officially my best friend. Sometimes I hang out with him, Marinette, and her best friend Alya. None of them know about my secret double life, not even Nino. He doesn't know that I'm a cat of destruction by night – or, you know, whenever a supervillain decides to attack.

So, I began the song with, "I am a cat."

Plagg was hovering over my shoulder as usual, probably looking for Camembert. "Wow, that's original."

I glared at him, my green eyes narrowing slightly. Plagg and I don't always get along, but he is kind of a nice companion. He's more like my secret conscience, I guess, but he doesn't exactly follow rules. So I guess he's more like a shoulder-devil.

"Just chilling out?" I mused, tapping my pen against the paper, and by default, the desk underneath.

"What?" Plagg questioned, furrowing his brow – probably, because I had no idea where or what his brow would be. "Me?"

I shook my head slightly, a few stray strands of blonde hair shifting onto my face. "No, that's the next line of my part of the song."

"Oh, hooray." Plagg returned, his tone completely sarcastic.

"You could be more supportive," I retorted, lightly offended that he wasn't taking this seriously. "I'm trying not to reveal myself as Cat Noir, but I'm also trying to make this personal."

Plagg snickered. "Yeah, I think you just contradicted yourself there."

"Whatever, cat." I returned, getting back to my work. "But in the night, she's all I think about..."

My kwami instantly roared with laughter, his cheese hunt momentarily forgotten in favor of mocking me. "While I know that's true, is this really what you want to be in a song? Ladybug will hear it, and know that you wrote it. She might be weirded out." His tiny voice squeaked, as he shook at the unintentional humor.

Plagg was right...it's not as if Jagged Stone hadn't advertised the whole affair; in fact, it was likely that Ladybug already knew about the song that was being written for her...well, for her and Cat Noir. Suddenly, I sort of wished I'd had been assigned Ladybug's perspective in the song, but that went to Marinette, since Stone wanted us to be the same gender as the superhero we were writing a point of view for.

"True..." I admitted finally, trailing off.

Plagg folded his arms over whatever served as the kwami's chest. "Whatever, it's up to you."

"Exactly," I countered, my green eyes wide. "So....even if I don't submit this to Jagged Stone, I'm writing it for her."

Coolly, the kwami leaned back against the pencil cup on my writing desk. "You know you kind of disgust me, right?"

"No," I returned, voice dripping with sarcasm. "You only tell me every time I mention Ladybug, see Ladybug, or try to get close to Ladybug."

"You're welcome," the kwami replied, equally witty.

Ignoring the little sprite, I turned back to my brainstorming. "I feel so strong when she's around. She picks me up when I am down." My green eyes flickered back and forth as I recalled all the times when Ladybug had really been there for him I remembered during Rogercop's mini reign of terror over Paris, Ladybug had saved me from being squashed like a bug. I might have hit the pavement if not for her special yo-yo. Although she did reject me as I tried to steal a little peck... but she still helped me back up again after she dropped me to the ground.

And then I found the place to insert my earlier sentiments. "Oh, no, you'll never know. My love can only grow." I could remember exactly when I fell for Ladybug. She and I had teamed up against Stoneheart, during our first time meeting each other. Later, I found her bravery to be impossibly amazing. The way she stood up in front of all Paris against Hawkmoth was brilliant, beautiful, and courageous. She saved Chloe, Ivan, and Mylene. She's my partner in stopping crime, as she's always said. Ever since we teamed up, I have always felt more like myself around Ladybug than I am with any of my friends from my normal life. I get to tease, joke, and run around with my lady. We've always had each other's backs; we're an unstoppable team. I'm so grateful to have m'lady...I just wish I knew who she was underneath the mask. Her capability, smarts, and loyalty have always impressed me – Adrien and Cat Noir, but Noir especially, of course.

"And when I see her smile... that's when she becomes miraculous." I'd seen Ladybug smile so often, and I live for watching her grin at my dumb puns. I'd started the puns to escape Adrien's normally serious, sheltered life. But after watching her roll her eyes and give me an almost patronizing smile, I couldn't stop. Because no matter who Ladybug is, she is beautiful – she is miraculous. 

©BlackShadowDC. All rights reserved.