Chapter 22: Shadows From Sunlight

Tateshyúso cannot be seen, only felt as she passes.

—Shimusogo Nedorómi, Courtship of Shimusògo and Tateshyúso (Verse 3)

"Rutejìmo? Jìmo?"

Rutejìmo opened his eyes to see Chimípu crouching at the entrance to his tent.

She was fretting with the handle of the knife. Her body shuddered as she tapped her foot. "Wake up, Jìmo."

He groaned. "I'm up, Mípu. What's wrong?"

"I... we need to get moving."

Rutejìmo yawned and looked past her. It was first light, a beautiful morning right before the spears of light crossed over the sands. It was still cool but the heat was already increasing. "Why?"

"Come on." Her expression faded into a pleading one. "Please?"

He searched her face. She was scared about something. He opened his mouth to speak but stopped at her look. He grunted. "Yes, Great Shimusogo Chimípu."

With relief naked on her face, she stepped back and moved to wake up Pidòhu.

Rutejìmo crawled out of bed and found a spot to relieve himself. He returned to find her digging out breakfast, the wooden boards placed around her. She moved with a frantic energy, practically throwing the plate of food in his lap before serving Pidòhu.

Feeling Chimípu's desperation, Rutejìmo ate quickly.

Pidòhu ate slower, but his movements were steadier, and he wasn't as pale as the day before. He didn't shake, but he still struggled to hold the board up. Rutejìmo reached over and steadied it for him. As he struggled with his food, Pidòhu watched Chimípu carefully. "Mípu? What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

Pidòhu continued to stare at her.

Chimípu glanced up, and then back down at her food. "I said nothing."

His eyebrow rose and his gaze never left her.

After a few seconds of her choking down her food, she slammed her plate down. "Okay, I ruined everything! Better?"

A smile ghosted across Pidòhu's face. "Oh, is that it?"

Chimípu glared at him.

Pidòhu stuck his tongue out at her and resumed eating. Between the bites, he said, "I mean, none of us have screwed up during these rites at all. Of course, forcing us to wake up early is far worse than me falling off a rock and breaking my leg. Or Rutejìmo marking the rocks."

Rutejìmo shot Pidòhu a glare but then focused on eating.

"It isn't that," snapped Chimípu. "It's Tsubàyo."

"What about him?"

"I told him about Mikáryo. I shouldn't have."

"So?"

"He knows that she wants one of us."

Pidòhu nodded and sighed. "And you are worried that he's going to do something stupid like kill one of us to save his own balls?"

Chimípu froze, her fingers inches from her mouth. She sighed and gave a rueful smile. "Damn, yes."

"Well," Pidòhu said with a dramatic shrug of modesty, "I'm pretty observant." He grinned. "Or, I don't have anything better to think about."

Rolling her eyes, she finished her bite.

"Am I right, Great Shimusogo Chimípu?"

"Yes, yes, you are." She stared at her plate. "I shouldn't have told him. And then, when I realized that he had gotten away, I got so angry I had to scream."