Chapter 13: A Full House

Casey's POV

"What? This was not part of the agreement," I told Nate firmly.

"The agreement was that I wouldn't force you to come with me," reminded Nate. "It said nothing about me coming with you."

It was early afternoon, and after about 2 days in the hospital, I was finally being discharged. I had walked into the outside world hopeful that my life would return to normal following the adventures of the last two weeks. I had forgotten to take two things into account - first, that as a paranormal, my life was never even close to normal, and second, that I had an annoying, powerful mate who was determined to stick to me like glue.

Apparently, Nate had decided that since he couldn't cart me away to his beachside resort in sunny California like a caveman, he was instead going to invite himself to stay with my family until I was ready to "go home with him."

He still hadn't grasped the concept that the only way I would be going anywhere with him was over my cold, dead body.

"You can't just come home with me! You're a vampire! What will my parents say?"

"I already spoke with your parents, and they agreed that it was probably a good idea to keep you around me for a little while. It will speed up your healing process, and gives us all a chance to discuss our problems regarding Lombardi."

"That doesn't matter! You can't just invite yourself over to other people's houses."

"Why in the world not?" Nate inquired.

"Because it's rude! I thought you fangy ones were supposed to be models of decorum, being that you were around when it was invented."

Nate frowned slightly. "That's a tad rude. I'll have you know that while I was around for many inventions, including the telephone and automobile, I have never known a point at which manners were not important. They change over time, of course, but the fact remains -"

"The fact," I said, interrupting him, "is that this is not a plan that is going to work. We don't even have a guest room. Where are you going to sleep?"

"With you, of course," said Nate, smirking.

"Wi-With me? Absolutely not! I only have a twin size bed, it's not like you would fit. Besides, it's a tad inappropriate," I stuttered.

"I don't see why. You know, back in the days, when the French royals would marry, they would be expected to consummate their marriage immediately after the wedding ceremony and festivities, often after first meeting only hours before, at the altar."

"That's awful."

"I suppose, although it seemed rather ordinary at the time."

"Well, we are not French royals in the - when is this, again?"

"At latest, the 1800s," said Nate decisively.

"Yes, we are not royals in the 1800s. We are...well, one of us is a modern day supernatural, and that means that we will abide by modern day conventions. Which, last time I checked, stated that one does not invite oneself to another person's house."

"Argue all you want, Casey. I'm coming with you, and there's nothing you can do about it," Nate said. He gently grabbed my arm and guided me into his car before I could protest.

"I can throw you out of my house," I remark as he starts the car.

"No, you can't, and you know it. Now buckle your seatbelt."

Nate - 1, Casey - 0.

I pout the entire way to the house. Childish, I know, but I'm not really sure what else to do with this vampire. He won't take no for an answer, and he seems to consistently be one step ahead of me. Nevertheless, as hard as I try, I can't be angry with him. Not when I'm in his car, and he smells so damn good. Whatever cologne he's using, I need to bathe in it.