Prologue: Escaping the Grinder

Jack swirled his ear to the side. The bell rang in the fields. He quickly froze in place. "This.. This never happens.." He mumbled. He then heard a gruff voice. "Where the hell is the wolf boy!" Jack cringed. He hated being called that name. But he lowered his head and walked to the gruff voice of his owner. He lightly spoke. "Yes sir?" The two guards who stood next to the gruff man held firm serious expressions.

One of the guards spoke up, "As we have now learned from one of your peers, you stole food from the market." Jack cringed.
"I DIDN'T STEAL THE DAMN FOOD!" Jack immediately felt his two wrists being snatched. He quickly pulled them away.

He then felt a strong kick into his stomach. He fell to his knees. He held his torso. Pain traveled through his body, it was like lightning striking a tough desert land scape. He whimpered on the ground. Hybrid eyes lingered on him. He then felt a leather heel mashed into his face. He screamed in pain. Blood dripped from his nose. His neck was snatched with strong tight grip. Blood dripped into his mouth. His body ached in pain, he tried to breathe. But nothing happened. Jack then reached for his neck, trying to remove the large fingers of his owner.

He stared right into the eyes of his owner. He then spoke slowly, "Go to hell." He then spat blood on the man's face. His owner snarled and dropped Jack onto the ground. "Take him to the grinder." Jack cringed, he then felt hand cuffs being placed on him. He blinked. He groaned. He then got up, exhaustion is a jerk. But being put to death is worse. Jack quickly got up to his feet and started sprinting. He ran through the fields, cheers from other hybrids rose up. He smiled, he then wiped the blood from his bleeding nose as he ran. Jack didn't look back. All he knew was run. Run far and fast from this dreaded place. His worn sandals he wore in the fields could take him far away from this place. Jack looked behind him. The two guards didn't even try to catch him. All that Jack saw in the fields was pure sadness, and he wanted to get as far away that he possibly could from it.