Almost Caught

You are the song that keeps playing over my head. I never want it to end if it means being with you forever.

I’m in the shower, singing a song from Infinite Chase’s new album.

It’s been a week since I stayed here, and nothing much happened in the past couple of days. KY continues to ignore me, while Nate, Lance and Zeke became my friends.

I admit that it hurts being neglected by the person I like, but I think this is much better than us fighting. I don’t want him to hate me. I hold on to the hope that Lance is right; KY will come around.

Juliane called a few times, making sure that I’m doing a good job at my work. She asked me the condition of the band, and of the house, and told me to tell her everything she needs to know.

When I’m done, I put on my clothes and walk out of the bathroom.

Even though I’m staying—

“Aaahhh!” I let out a startled scream when Nate shows up out of nowhere.

I can feel my heart thundering, while my knees are shaking wobbly.

“Hey,” Nate says, holding my arms to steady me.

“You scared me!”

“I’m sorry,” he says amusedly. “I was waiting for you to come out because I need to use the bathroom.”

I breathe a sigh of relief. I’m glad I had the sense to put on my clothes before walking out.  In my dorm, I used to wrap my body with a towel and just put on my clothes in my room. Actually, all the girls do that because there are no boys allowed in the girl’s dorm. Here, living with hormonal guys, I need to be careful. Even though I adore them, they are still males.

I leave Nate and continue to walk in my room. I already arranged and organized my things a few days ago. Being a personal assistant (I prefer the term band manager) to the band is not difficult. I just stay with them in the house, and do household chores. Perhaps it’s because I haven’t really done the job yet because the band is still on their vacation. I'm excited and nervous at the same time for their concert next month.

Today, I decide to spend my time chatting with my friends from College. I told them that I took a leave, but I didn’t explain any further. I might slip out, and I want my secret to remain a secret.

About an hour later, the guys ask me to come down and join them in the Entertainment room. It’s the usual – there are couches, a round table, a big flat screen television, a cabinet full of DVD’s.

Nate, Lance and Zeke are sitting on the carpeted ground. Don’t ask me where KY is. He doesn’t join us much when we hang out.

They guys are playing a video game. It makes me believe that they are normal. Just like my male friends, they can easily get engaged with just a controller and an Xbox.

I watch them, amused at their expressions and the words they utter when they’re almost losing. I didn’t expect I’ll have fun even though I’m not the one playing.

“I heard Brielle singing to one of our songs when she was in the bathroom,” Nate says without preamble.

“You heard me?” I ask, surprised. I’m sure that I did not sing loudly.

"Your voice isn't bad," says Lance, not taking his eyes off the screen.

Zeke nods. "Not bad," he agrees. "We  also heard you before."

I don't know if I should take that as a compliment.

"Have you ever sung before?" Lance asks.

Before I can answer, Nate says, "Aside from our concert, of course."