The Creature That Killed Me

Authors note: Such an original name XD

***

Heavily breathing, I peered round the corner. My heart was beating so fast I could've had a heart attack right there and then. Hair stuck to my face with sweat, and I had nothing to arm me with but a gun. Like that will kill it.

It was hot in the house, even though it was the middle of the biggest snow storm that had ever hit America. Bloody, smashed glass covered the oak floorboards, creaking like those of a horror movie. I guess this kinda was a horror movie. Green wallpaper peeled off the walls, leaving only bugs to crawl across them. Grass popped up through many floorboards, and ivy swept across the ceiling. Even though it was abandoned, it shouldn't have looked like this. Not so quickly anyway...

"Hehehehe....." I looked behind me, my blue ponytail swishing like a horses mane in the wind. My heartbeat increased. The creature was near. I spun round, hoping to see the rest of Squad 725, but of course they wouldn't be there. They were long gone, taken. Dead. A silence crept over me after the giggles would end. And they would start again. I couldn't take it anymore. I start to run through the corridors, hoping to find an exit somewhere. No chance.

"I'm gonna find you Angel. Hehehehe...." It called my name. Everytime it talked, it seemed as if it would whisper in my ear. Every time I would try to not look, but failed. I knew what would happen if looked, but I did it anyway, I had to see the person that was after me, that killed Squad 725, that was trying to kill me.

I ran upstairs, and opened a door at random. Bats flew out, their wings hitting my face, making me scream, I hated these creatures. After many, many, many more bats, it finally ended. I shut the door, and chose another. A horrid sight found me.

Dolls. All looking towards me. Each of them had lost one eye, the other glowing red, and just looked damn creepy. But the glowing eyes, or the fact that all their clothes were ripped, or the fact they were all staring at me wasn't the most petrifying part. They were all Squad 725.

I knew if The Creature got me, that would be my fate. And I had started to lose more and more hope.

"You know you can't run forever Angel. You know you can't make it. You know I'll catch you. You should just join your friends. You should lay down, cry, and let me get you."

It got into my head. I started to cry, single tears flowing down my face as I silently lay down on the floor. I should just let him get me. There was no point in life. I might aswell die.

Wait, what? Since when did I give up? 

Since when did I let people push me around? I thought about my boyfriend back at home. A few years ago, he had been a big YouTuber, until I joined the Careers. He had stopped since someone had to look after Petunia, my baby girl. He was hoping I would return from this trip. He loved me, and I had loved him. He had... He had even proposed to me.

I though about my sick mother, back at home. She hadn't even realised I had left. She had a disease, I can't remember what it was, but she didn't even realise I was me. "Is Angel going to come today?" She would say, and I would be right next to her.

I thought about my family and friends back at home. I couldn't let them down. I slowly started to get up, shaking so hard I could've been vibrating. I let a final tear escape and whispered, "You will not get me. Catch me if you can." I took off, and climbed the next stair case. I kept climbing and climbing until suddenly I slipped down, and hit the floor. A pain shot through my left leg, and I screached. I had some how, broken my leg. God no, why now?

Scratch. Scratch. Scratch. Tap. Tap. Tap.

The sound of metal against metal, as I heard chains scratching against each other. 

"Found you."

I felt a cold breath blow on my face. I knew this was it. As soon as I would open my eyes, I would be gone. I wanted, longed, to see what my killer was.

A sudden burst of energy, and I was sliding across the floor. "What the hell are you doing?" The babyish voice said, "You know I'll get you, just open those sweet eyes of yours, dear, or I'll open them for you."

I squeezed my eyes tight, wincing in pain. I slided to where I knew the last set of stairs were. I, like a snail, reached the top of the stairs and pushed open the hatch to the top. To the roof.

I knew below us were extra troops. I knew what I had to do. "Angel," the voice of The Creature whispered, in a hypnotic sort of way, "Don't you want to see my face, see what I am? I know you do. I can read your thoughts. And I know what you want to do." It growled. Crunching stones tearing my clothes, I pulled my way to the edge of the house roof.

But The Creature picked me up by my left leg. I screamed, and screamed, and screamed. "I know you'll open your eyes soon. Or I'll make this even more painfull," It whispered in a dark voice. I got my gun and pointed it at my leg. And I shot.

The pain nearly paralysed me. Nearly knocked me out. Eventually, my whole leg came clean off my body. "Why would you flipping do that?! You're nuts Angel," the voice said in the distance. But I wasn't listening.

I got to the edge of the house roof again, and called my words down to the troops, "I know what I have to do. When I do what I'm going to do, you have to throw a grenade, something, into The Creatures mouth. Because as I fall off the edge, it will lunge out for me, and try to eat me.

"It ate the rest of Squad 725. They have turned into his minions, and I know that they will probably be on their way up now. But if you destroy It, they will be deactivated, and their souls will be able to move on. It, I know you are listening, but your instincts will kick in, and you won't help yourself. Today, Creature, you will die.

"But unfortunately, so will I. I am going to sacrifice myself. Don't try and save me, I have lost too much blood. And if you are directly underneath me, It may get you too. Please, do what you can, and destroy The Creature. I know this seems heroic and cliche, but I'm doing this for the greater good. Please, after my death, tell my family, and friends, how I saved you all from certain death. Goodbye, cruel, cruel world."

With my final ounce of strength, I pushed myself off the edge of the house. I heard the screech of The Creature tearing through the air after me, the shooting of gunfire, explosions, everything. As I hit the floor to my death, I said my final words and left this world of the living: "Goodbye My Love, Goodbye Petunia. I hope you grow up to become a strong, independent woman, and remember me at my best."

Crack. Bang.

***

I know it's not much, but I hope you enjoy my entry for the Creature Feature competition. I hope you found it thrilling, and though it was so cliche, that you loved every bit of the sadness and the memories and... Yeah.

And I know it didn't actually describe The Creature, but I guess I did that to leave The Creature to your imagination. Because sometimes, when you imagine something, and then it is actually different, it sort of ruins it. So, on a closing not, what would your Creature be?