At Hell's Gate Part 2

It was cold and harsh this time at night, wolves were howling in the distance and a lone soldier was traversing the great unknown. If it wasn't for his sword and shield, he'd be dinner for any predators that were to attack him.

It started raining, in this forest there is hardly any cover from the rain, the soldier was drenched to the skin, it was cold. With no fire, dry clothes or shelter, hyperthermia could set in. Hunger and dehydration are the least of the soldier's worries, for it is becoming later and even more dangerous.

3 wolves appear from the dark. Hardly noticeable, but thanks to the enormous amount of time spent in the dark, the soldier could easily make out the form of the wolves, their orientation, their hungry, bloodthirsty eyes and growling teeth. One wolf charged at the soldier, he raised his shield to block the wolf's attack, stabbing it in the stomach, only to hear a pitied yelp from the now injured wolf.

As the injured wolf gained it's bearings and hold on the ground, it suddenly turned around ran 5 steps and fell to the ground, dead. The other wolves looked at the soldier and ran off. The soldier carried on, until he found a cave, he entered it, made himself comfy and fell asleep till the next morning...